View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 02:58 PM
The opposite is true, the only way to properly asses the extent to which HD is causing problems is to check the dogs mobility. X Rays are, in fact, inconclusive in this regard.

(and tests are generally carried out in puppies)

Ignorance is bliss!!

It stands to reason, that as this is a UK based forum and mos members here are from the UK, and have and knwo the UK Collie, that is what they base their knowledge on.
Jackbox
Unfortunately, anecdotal evidence is more than often completely untrue and misguided, do not rely on it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:03 PM
cute pups.
Are you a troll?
My friend has sprollies, bred on farm working ESS to sheep dog both owned by farm,both worked all their lifes , One has chronic Back problems , one has HD.

Working dogs CAN have bad hips,.the fact that they are worked each day builds the hard muscle that takes over from the joint, so symtoms dont show till they are older.

Another friend had a working collie that went completley blind with CEA

My collies are a mix of working & sports lines (so bred for ability & Not looks) but believe me its a medical minefield out there.

Anyway thats not to say the pups arent gorgeous, & i hope you stick around ( if you arent a troll) i think youll enjoy the debate on here.

I dont mind a xb litter tbh as long as its donre responsibley, but XB dosent atuomatically = healthy, nor does working.

My Dog flynn has awful hips, but moves, runs & "drives" amazingly!!!!! youd never know!
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 03:06 PM
My friend has sprollies, bred on farm working ESS to sheep dog both owned by farm,both worked all their lifes , One has chronic Back problems , one has HD.

Working dogs CAN have bad hips,.the fact that they are worked each day builds the hard muscle that takes over from the joint, so symtoms dont show till they are older.
yes they can, but look at the statistic and you will find they are much less likely to.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:06 PM
SBL :"The opposite is true, the only way to properly asses the extent to which HD is causing problems is to check the dogs mobility. X Rays are, in fact, inconclusive in this regard.

(and tests are generally carried out in puppies"

OMG!!!!! who told you that?

This hasd got to be a wind up.

esp as the pups look quite pointerish.

Is this a wind up?
Come on..........
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:07 PM
yes they can, but look at the statistic and you will find they are much less likely to.
SBL

no there are just less tested!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:11 PM
(and tests are generally carried out in puppies)
Hip scoring (via the BVA) cannot be carried out until the dog is at least 1 year of age.....not sure where you are getting your info from

Statistical data is not usually well trusted, due to the sample groups using in the testing - you are statistically more likely to higher hip scores within 'breeds' as these are the dogs who are tested! Relatively few xbreeds are tested.
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 03:11 PM
please read;

http://www.hipdysplasiaindogs.com/

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2084&aid=444

'The diagnosis of canine hip dysplasia is typically made by combining: clinical signs of arthritis and pain, a complete physical exam, and radiographs (x-rays). If a dog is showing outward signs of arthritis, there are usually easily recognized changes in the joint that can be seen on radiographs. In addition, the veterinarian may even be able to feel looseness in the joint or may be able to elicit pain through extension and flexion of the rear leg. Regardless, the results are straightforward and usually not difficult to interpret.'

no there are just less tested!
http://www.offa.org/hipstatbreed.html
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:14 PM
not if muscle is built up!!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:14 PM
hey why cant i quote on here? How are you all doing it?
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 03:15 PM
you need to put [*quote*] [/*quote*] (without the stars) around the quote
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »