View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:11 AM
So in the short the answer us no. Lovely pups but people need to think before they go on a whim to mate there are soo many dogs in rescue pure and cross why do people add to this?! The idea of breeding in to improve the breed so try and breed out these hereditary problems. All you have done us may have bred two dogs with the same recessive problem they may bot show up in many generation but it's there and without the relivant tests then you would never no.
ATD
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by SBL View Post
Well as I'm sure you know genetic simultaneities are statistically more prevalent in similar DNA (no surprise there), hence genetic disorders become associated with closely grouped people/animals, for example, due to the custom of marrying cousins and close relatives haemophilia was common in the Euorpian royal family. Breeding outside of this close group lowers or even removes the risk of these genetic problems occurring, hence, statistically, mongrels are genetically healthier.

Compared to most 'pure breed' breeds, the GSD or the Bulldog being excellent examples, the border collie suffers from a very low occurrence of genetic disorders, epilepsy isn't common, nor are serious or damaging eye disorders, certainly not as common as say hip problems in GSD. As my border collie is from a long line of long living healthy working dogs I felt no need to test my bitch.

As for the Springer, well they are known to suffer from various problems, but the majority of these tend to be the show lines instead of the working lines, the sire was again from a working line with no reports of serious problems so no checks where done.

I'm happy these animals have had offspring, both are excellent happy healthy dogs with lovely temperaments, breed for their working abilities and not their looks, the fact that these pups are so cute is a bonus

Pure breed dogs that have no history of working lines you need to worry about adn you really should have checked, the very fact they are known to have common disorders just goes to prove how concentrated and unhealthy the gene pool has become, working dogs are always far healthier, because they breed for their health and ability and not their looks or value, interbred unhealthy dogs are of no value if you want a working dog So I didn't worry.
No, it doesn't work like that at all, as any one of us breeders on here will confirm. We can have dogs and bitches that pass all their health tests within the mean average for the breed and still breed something that has a problem. Relying on the fact that working strain breeders only breed from healthy animals is just a cop out to save money and the effort of getting your dog/bitch tested.
..you will possibly find that they carry more hereditary faults/problems than those from show lines because the latter are health tested before being bred from and the working line breeders may have the same thoughts as you, therefore a potential problem lies dormant until it rears its ugly head in a throwback...how is that fair to the pup/owner that is effected?

To be able to discuss about genetics etc does not make PRA/Hip dysplacia/epilepsy etc., go away...it's just burying your head in the sand. To state that mongrels are generally healthier is a falacy and one that has been proven time and time again...you only have to chat with people on here that have cross breeds to know that they also suffer as many health problems as those pure bred dogs.

There is only one way to breed a litter and that is the right way!

That said, they are gorgeous pups and I wish you a lot of pleasure with them.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:18 AM
They are very cute! I love the roaning in the coat. Its something that would catch my eye in a dog personally. Do they both have smooth coats? They don't look very fluffy? Was your collie a smooth coat?
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
No, it doesn't work like that at all, as any one of us breeders on here will confirm. We can have dogs and bitches that pass all their health tests within the mean average for the breed and still breed something that has a problem. Relying on the fact that working strain breeders only breed from healthy animals is just a cop out to save money and the effort of getting your dog/bitch tested.
..you will possibly find that they carry more hereditary faults/problems than those from show lines because the latter are health tested before being bred from and the working line breeders may have the same thoughts as you, therefore a potential problem lies dormant until it rears its ugly head in a throwback...how is that fair to the pup/owner that is effected?

To be able to discuss about genetics etc does not make PRA/Hip dysplacia/epilepsy etc., go away...it's just burying your head in the sand. To state that mongrels are generally healthier is a falacy and one that has been proven time and time again...you only have to chat with people on here that have cross breeds to know that they also suffer as many health problems as those pure bred dogs.
Well you can never be sure a dog is free of genetic problems, without the aid of complete genetic analysis of course, but even then that is not a golden bullet. The best way, by far, to know whether a dog is likely to have any serious disorders is to know the provenance of the dogs, as I say I do.

HIP tests cannot tell you whether a dog will be in serious discomfort, they can provide a reasonable probability, but they cannot say with any certainty (except in the most extreme circumstances). A better test is to work with that dog everyday, if it is in any discomfort any it will show in it's ability to perform it's task. As I say, my Collie is from a long line of working fell dogs, they simply couldn't do their job if their mobility was compromised, so I'm confident their are no serious issues with her, particularly as she is not just mobile, but hyper mobile The same applies to the Springer.

As for show lines being tested, well this is the case, now, for years it wasn't, if you look at the HIP averages for breeds you will see the most commonly effected breeds are not just the larger ones but also the breeds that are popularly bred for looks and have had a reputation for being bred badly.

Let me make it clear, I'm not saying show breeders are all evil people who breed unhealthy interbred dogs, that's clearly not the case, however, it is undeniable that many show breeds (by which I mean dogs bred to a specification not for what they can do) have been abused over the years, the Bulldog being the worst and most shameful example. When a dog cannot give birth naturally and it suffers from all kinds of health complications as a matter of course then why would you continue to breed from it????

However, this said, it's a simply biological fact and a question of statistics that more closely related the DNA the more unhealthy it becomes, and while cross breeds may have problems they are statistically less likely to inherit common breed problems, just a fact of science and maths. A diverse breed is a healthy breed.
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
They are very cute! I love the roaning in the coat. Its something that would catch my eye in a dog personally. Do they both have smooth coats? They don't look very fluffy? Was your collie a smooth coat?
Yeah they have smooth coats, and they get the roaning from their mum (collie). AS I say the other two in the litter had collie markings and where pure black and white, these two terrors got the springer markings but their mums coat!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Errr, working lines should be tested too...my gsd is from working lines and they were fully health tested lines.
Oh, and my border collie is from pure (and very raw) working lines, yet her parents were still health tested, despite them being able to do a full days work on the farm all their life, the breeder thought it necessary- and rightly so.
I wont comment any further, breeders like you infuriate me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 10:42 PM
That would be a long way of saying no to health tests then!

Cornwall is full of this mix, many in rescue, Totally irresponsible to breed more dogs with such gay abandon in this economic climate.

Such ignorance. BC's have a lot of epilepsy, hip problems, OCD, PRA, CL and more. Most of those conditions can only be found with testing.

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Nice to see more irresponsible crossbreeding.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Just what i was thinking Labradork...Pups are cute, but it doesnt make it right...
Genetic problems can not be found unless there tested for, with cross breeds or pedigrees you can not just look at a dog and say, its healthy..
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 12:11 AM
wow the arrogance and utter ignorance!

If any of you had taken time to read the thread you would note I took time in making this decision, I researched the cross fully and took time over it. Read before insulting me at least

As for genetic problems not showing without tests, utter nonsense, genetic problems show up in dogs when they become problems, as I have said clearly, I know the provenance of the dogs and KNOW there where no reports of genetic problems (read the posts before insulting me), hence, no genetic problems, reasonably sound logic if you ask me.

As for dogs of this type being in rescue centres, well that is hardly my fault is it, blame the people who bred them and didn't take care of them, or you could blame me for world hunger, up to you really.

All those people who are demeaning cross breeds as some kind of sub species of dog, and it appears there are a few of you (irresponsible cross breeds etc) well let me say pure blood line breeders created the large occurrence of genetic flaws in the first place, no one who consciously bred a cross did. It's just pure chauvinism and arrogance.

BTW Collies don't have a large occurrence of epilepsy, not that there are any firm figers but it *may* be slightly higher than the average dog, show me figers and I'll change my opinion, nor do they have a large occurrence of hip problems (do your research, it's way below the average, especially for the size of the breed). As for eye disorders, firstly these rarely result in serious conditions, secondly it is a recessive gene that causes it, meaning you'd need two collies with the gene to pass it on.

Now insult away, but read the post first please

*edit

Oh, and one more thing, should any of you come back with any figures or scientific evidence, remember not to confuse the American Border Collie with the English breed.
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »