Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-05-2010, 02:58 PM

My Sprollie Pups

Hi all,

Stumbled across this site while goggling, thought I'd share pictures of my Sprollie pups (because I like to show off ). These are the only two I have left, other two in the litter were collie marked and mainly black.

Cute though, aren't they

Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 03:12 PM
They are very cute
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi,

Why did you breed this particular cross?
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Adorable pups They look like proper bundles of fun!

Sarah xoxox
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Lovely looking pups.
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Hi,

Why did you breed this particular cross?
Personally I have collies, a girlfriend of mine (ex now actually) owned a springer. She was after another dog for company for her own and as I was going to get my dog spayed she suggested that we have a litter from them.

I was sceptical at the time but did some research and read only good things about this cross breed, so I was happy to let them mate.

On top of this people get very pretentious about 'pure breeds', polluting blood lines and the like, I've never had any such problems, the cross breeds I have known have been some of the happiest, healthiest dogs. Obviously this isn't always true when you get incompatible breeds, but in general they are healthy dogs, especially when you consider the fact they are genetically healthier and free from incestuous breeding, as so many 'pure breeds' unfortunately are.

So yeah, I'm happy we bred them and they are lovely healthy dogs!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Aw, they are sweet little crossbred pups!
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Lovely pics of cute poopies
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by SBL View Post
Personally I have collies, a girlfriend of mine (ex now actually) owned a springer. She was after another dog for company for her own and as I was going to get my dog spayed she suggested that we have a litter from them.

I was sceptical at the time but did some research and read only good things about this cross breed, so I was happy to let them mate.

On top of this people get very pretentious about 'pure breeds', polluting blood lines and the like, I've never had any such problems, the cross breeds I have known have been some of the happiest, healthiest dogs. Obviously this isn't always true when you get incompatible breeds, but in general they are healthy dogs, especially when you consider the fact they are genetically healthier and free from incestuous breeding, as so many 'pure breeds' unfortunately are.

So yeah, I'm happy we bred them and they are lovely healthy dogs!
Did you do all the relevant health testing with good results for both the springer and the collie?? I should assumer you did as you are so sure this is a healthy cross.
Did you not in fact think of the possible health problems that may affect the puppies..only with a cross like this you have both typical springer and collie problems that could arise.
ESS scan suffer from PRA, glaucoma and MRD..and BC's should be CEA/CL and PRA tested, aswel as both parents hip scored. Also epilepsy is a big problem in some BC lines.

Did you test for any of these before you "let them mate"..because I dont see how you can be so sure they are healthy unless they have at least had the relevant health tests for the breeds.
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Did you do all the relevant health testing with good results for both the springer and the collie?? I should assumer you did as you are so sure this is a healthy cross.
Did you not in fact think of the possible health problems that may affect the puppies..only with a cross like this you have both typical springer and collie problems that could arise.
ESS scan suffer from PRA, glaucoma and MRD..and BC's should be CEA/CL and PRA tested, aswel as both parents hip scored. Also epilepsy is a big problem in some BC lines.

Did you test for any of these before you "let them mate"..because I dont see how you can be so sure they are healthy unless they have at least had the relevant health tests for the breeds.
Well as I'm sure you know genetic simultaneities are statistically more prevalent in similar DNA (no surprise there), hence genetic disorders become associated with closely grouped people/animals, for example, due to the custom of marrying cousins and close relatives haemophilia was common in the Euorpian royal family. Breeding outside of this close group lowers or even removes the risk of these genetic problems occurring, hence, statistically, mongrels are genetically healthier.

Compared to most 'pure breed' breeds, the GSD or the Bulldog being excellent examples, the border collie suffers from a very low occurrence of genetic disorders, epilepsy isn't common, nor are serious or damaging eye disorders, certainly not as common as say hip problems in GSD. As my border collie is from a long line of long living healthy working dogs I felt no need to test my bitch.

As for the Springer, well they are known to suffer from various problems, but the majority of these tend to be the show lines instead of the working lines, the sire was again from a working line with no reports of serious problems so no checks where done.

I'm happy these animals have had offspring, both are excellent happy healthy dogs with lovely temperaments, breed for their working abilities and not their looks, the fact that these pups are so cute is a bonus

Pure breed dogs that have no history of working lines you need to worry about adn you really should have checked, the very fact they are known to have common disorders just goes to prove how concentrated and unhealthy the gene pool has become, working dogs are always far healthier, because they breed for their health and ability and not their looks or value, interbred unhealthy dogs are of no value if you want a working dog So I didn't worry.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »