View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't find it so hard to believe at all. Do you never look at your dogs and they kind of know what you're thinking? Perhaps some of us are very in tune with out dogs, maybe.

Of course, I'm not suggesting the "look" would be used in recall (say in a field) but certainly I'll look at mine if I want them, once eye contact is made, they usually walk over to me. After all, speaking is a human conception. The eyes are very much a tool of communication. Then there's body language. I thought you "antis" were really up on body language and yet you are suprised that CM can communicate with a dog via his eyes

I'm very surprised that some of you don't have this sort of bond with your dogs In all honesty I say that; not trying to be smart in any way
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So am I , as with most of his cases, the dogs are way past the puppy stage, so would be rather pointless for him to advise anyone to take the dogs to puppy class etc

I fact, I dont think I have ever heard him recommend anyone take them to puppy/training classes!!

In fact the only thing I hear him continually say is "he is not a trainer and does not train dogs"
It's in the books, he also advises all sorts of other classes too for the stuff he doesn't do. He doesn't do agility either but he isn't against it, he would advise you to go elsewhere if that's what you were looking for. yadda yadda yadda
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I don't find it so hard to believe at all. Do you never look at your dogs and they kind of know what you're thinking? Perhaps some of us are very in tune with out dogs, maybe.

Of course, I'm not suggesting the "look" would be used in recall (say in a field) but certainly I'll look at mine if I want them, once eye contact is made, they usually walk over to me. After all, speaking is a human conception. The eyes are very much a tool of communication. Then there's body language. I thought you "antis" were really up on body language and yet you are suprised that CM can communicate with a dog via his eyes

I'm very surprised that some of you don't have this sort of bond with your dogs In all honesty I say that; not trying to be smart in any way
Yep - And what you have picked up on - which he does not appear to have done - is that there is a lot more involved than just the eyes.....I can certainly 'call' my dogs without using a sound...but it is not just my eyes.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yep - And what you have picked up on - which he does not appear to have done - is that there is a lot more involved than just the eyes.....I can certainly 'call' my dogs without using a sound...but it is not just my eyes.
I agree.
I can get my dogs to come to me without a sound too...but yes it is more then my eyes and I have also had to work to get their trust etc.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
I am glad you said that because having read the posts that I felt were saying he was a fool for saying he calls them with his eyes, I thought maybe I had some doggy genes or something

I agree that all sorts of my body language tells my dogs what I'm thinking. Some are more receptive than others. Strangely enough, I don't think my boys are quite so "up" on eye contact/body language but the girls are very bright on that front (actually that analogy can probably be brought to humans as well - I often think men go more on words than actions )
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
I am glad you said that because having read the posts that I felt were saying he was a fool for saying he calls them with his eyes, I thought maybe I had some doggy genes or something
Yes - he is a bit silly for saying it as he did - and I do not believe it is true for a second......had he said 'I can call my dogs using just my body language without any verbal commands' it would have made sense.
To state it as was mentioned was really silly - but this is an american programme.....(big apologies to our members in the US)
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Yes - he is a bit silly for saying it as he did - and I do not believe it is true for a second......had he said 'I can call my dogs using just my body language without any verbal commands' it would have made sense.
To state it as was mentioned was really silly - but this is an american programme.....(big apologies to our members in the US)
I do think some things get lost in translation, so to speak. Although both Nations are English speaking, things are said in a different way. Hard to explain really.

I know when my American cousins come over (their Mum is from UK but they were born in the USA) we very often misunderstand each other. Perhaps it's the way it's said and I do think the Americans are more dramatic in speech (that's not meant as a criticism). I'm confusing myself now, but I know what I mean (not sure anyone else does )
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-08-2009, 07:40 AM
[
Yep - And what you have picked up on - which he does not appear to have done -is that there is a lot more involved than just the eyes... ..I can certainly 'call' my dogs without using a sound...but it is not just my eyes.

Exactly, one knows their own dogs, and your own dog will have over time tuned into your body language.

But even then, even in the comforts of my own home, I have never yet achieved a "come her" with just a look, there will usually be much more involved, for my dogs to pick up on what I want

I'm very surprised that some of you don't have this sort of bond with your dogs In all honesty I say that; not trying to be smart in any way:001:
Having a bond with ones own dogs , is one thing, they learn to read and tune into your emotions /body language...

Yet it seems CM can achieve such things with ANY dog

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs
i am watching the dog-whisperer he has answered the question....he said ,i can tell a dog to come to me with my eyes
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Agreed totally, and very easy with a dog you have had from a pup, not so easy with a stray rescue, who A you don't know there name, so have to give a new name and B has never been taught, that food, toys, treats are great things and worth coming back for, and c from the looks has been left to do what they please for the first 8 months to a year of their life, so you're trying to start training just as they are hitting their teenage months

Spot on. Dexter was not even used to a collar and lead when I first adopted him, let alone recall. I totally agree with your comments.
Meg
Supervisor

06-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Please note this is an old thread..
Page 24 of 25 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 >