View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Tilly is so called because my mum used to call me Tilly Mint when I was a child when being naughty/mischeivous - It's a northern thing that was used in the 60's/70's I think!
and a child's book character.
I do use her full name sometimes,
It suits her & I thought it was quite original but I have come across 4 Tilly's on our walks, 1 at puppy class & 1 on here!!
if I ever get another dog I will call it Pepper Mint!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2009, 02:46 AM
With a new puppy every year, sometimes it is tough. We have no system. We are free to name the puppies we raise for the dog guide school whatever we want. Taffy? Well she was a yellow Lab and sort of taffy colored. Nugget? My brother in law made fun of
Taffy as a name and said Nugget was a good name for a yellow Lab. Aster was out of her mother's first litter. The host family had given all the puppies an name starting with A. We decided to keep it. Prince was named to go with Princess, a younger half sister to Aster. When she was selected as breeding stock, they started her litters from Z. I said if they named the one male Zeke, I would keep the name.

The assistance dog school Tux belongs to sends a list of 30 names all starting with the same letter. I didn't like any of them, but decided to flaunt my use of Linus by naming him Tux.

Nita and Xanthe came from http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/petnames.htm#1 and http://www.cat-dog-names.com/
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Some of mine were already named when I adopted them and their names suit so I did`nt change them, the one`s I have named/re-named were based on a characteristic or personality, or in the case of one was named after a favourite book as well as it being sheer luck that he was in the right place at the right time, [ Fluke ].

My Alsatian [ ]who I was lucky enough to own many years ago I named Simba for no other reason than I liked the name
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 09:03 AM
I`ve always preferred human names for pets (especially biblical names).. maybe a name that i really like.. but not quite have the nerve to call a human child it.

At the moment we have Mia, Freya & Noah.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi,

When I was growing up we had a Dobermann called Otto purly because it was a german name for a german dog; an Irish Setter called Baron (registered name Copperplate Confusion) cos my Mom thought he was regal and noble; a golden lab called Sam just because we liked the name and many SBTs most of whom were called bess (no idea why) apart from one dog called Badger because he had a white stripe up his nose.

When I had my first dog from Birmingham DH I had already decided it was be called Jake. I ended up with a GSD X bitch so to make it more feminine I called her Jaikei.

Of the dogs I have now - Oscar named al fo the. Zane came about because he was at nursery with a boy caled Zane and they were friends. Ellie was so called because when I first took her she popped all over the back seats of the car so the name Smelly Ellie stuck. Yiannis was called Dexter at the DH but it didn't suit him. Oscar called him Yiannis as soon as I got him home so that was that.

We will be gettign an Akita pup alter in the year. She'll be called (probably) Karel, Amara or Maritza. If w happen to get a dog rather than a bitch (althoug I'd prefer a bitch) it will probably be called Acarapi (Rapi for short), Aduviri, Kesi or Rafael (Rafi for short).
No doub these will change by October though.

Laura xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Usually names just pop into my head. I had always vowed that I'd never call a dog by it's pedigree name but that all changed when I got Percy who was originally called Spanky. When I saw his KC name (Schezade Percy Suede) that was it he was Percy! Wilson, Liberty, Cooper and Dolly all have the same names as their registered ones although Wilson, Cooper and Dolly were all registered after I had chosen their names.
My friend chose Terra and Oscar just popped into my head when he was 5 weeks old and lying asleep in my arms!
My boys seem to follow the surname theme so I have Percy, Wilson, Cooper, Parker and Oscar. The girls are Ellie, Liberty, Dolly and Terra!
Becky
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 10:03 AM
I love it when little children help name pets!

One of the beatkeepers on the estate has a black lab called George, and his 3 and a half year old daughter Ellie wants to get a black bitch called Peppa, so she has Peppa and George Pig!
The best bit is, is that the headkeeper is expecting a litter of lab pups sometime in the next two weeks, which will more than likely be black, so Ellie might possibly get her Peppa!!

Sarah xx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Erm, Max's full name is Maxwell Norman Jackson although he only gets that when he is properly naughty!

We ended up with a list of names we wanted to call him, then tried them out on him before he came home. Max/Maxwell seemed to fit nicely, so it stuck.

Like Esmed, we didn't want a 'typical' Boxer name (Tyson, Lewis, Bruno etc)

With Murphy, we wanted a name that would match Max's, and I wanted it to begin with an M as well, so it was Murphy (tho' he mainly gets called Murf or Smurf)

Problem is, if we ever got another dog, their name would have to begin with an M as well!!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I just looked at my dogs and their names come to me when they were pups. Bailey I got at 5 months and he was already Bailey (liked it so kept it). Bambi was Dora but I couldn't stick that one, so she became Bambi as she is a dead ringer for the deer character.

All the others, we (my Daughters and I) looked at them, consulted a bit and there it was, their name was born.

Fluffles Fufu was meant to be "Coco Chanel" (it was the name we chose after seeing her the first time) then we got her home and she was such a fluffy little monster, the name didn't suit, was too sophisticated for her, hence "Fluffles Fufu" - can't take that serious
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Erm, Max's full name is Maxwell Norman Jackson although he only gets that when he is properly naughty!

We ended up with a list of names we wanted to call him, then tried them out on him before he came home. Max/Maxwell seemed to fit nicely, so it stuck.

Like Esmed, we didn't want a 'typical' Boxer name (Tyson, Lewis, Bruno etc)

With Murphy, we wanted a name that would match Max's, and I wanted it to begin with an M as well, so it was Murphy (tho' he mainly gets called Murf or Smurf)

Problem is, if we ever got another dog, their name would have to begin with an M as well!!
"Norman" - I love it
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >