Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Nature Diet- Puppy gone off it??

Roofs seems to have gone off his Nature’s Diet in the past couple of days, I swapped him back into a normal bowl from his anti-gulp one and he still wasn’t eating and I made sure I was taking it away if it wasn’t finished in a timely manner. This morning he wouldn’t touch it but was happy to eat James Wellbeloved kibble. Took him for a walk and he threw up the Nature Diet but seemingly not the kibble? (He was vacced and microchipped yesterday evening not sure if that is related??? He was fine afterwards and was his usual bubby self.)

Not sure what to do?

I might change him onto Natures Harvest as it has a higher meat content but we still have 3 or so days left of ND, should I ‘make’ him finish it or not? Could he just be trying his luck or do they get bored of eating the same thing day in day out?

He’s his usual bright alert happy self in all other respects.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 11:27 AM
It could have gone off. It has been known. Try a different batch if you don`t want to change.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Good plan, I was thinking it was a different packet but in retrospect because he didn't eat it yesterday I popped it in the fridge under cling film.

I'll open a new packet this lunch time (fingers crossed), I don't seem to recall it smelling funny though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Vaccs can make some a little queasy for 24 hours or so.

However, my pup was on Nature Diet. Nearest shop that sold it was quite a way away so I bought 10 packs that had just been delivered into the shop and well in date when the first lot ran out. It smelt so bad that I binned the lot and changed food.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Nature Diet has a lot of dodgy packs time and time again, we had a very long thread on here once about it when I was feeding it and wondered why both my dogs walked away from breakfast. Nature's Harvest looks a lot better imo, I'd stick with that if I were you.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Well I've been feeding mine NatureDiet in part for the last 9 years and have never had an 'off' packet. I have, however, had 'off' foods of other brands and trust me -- you would know about it if your ND was 'off'. The smell hits you like a ton of bricks.

Anyway, try blasting it in the microwave briefly. Unlike a lot of wet foods, NatureDiet can be warmed up in the microwave and fussy eaters usually take to it. Alternatively, try a different flavour -- they have plenty of them!
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2012, 02:13 PM
When I got home yesterday he still hadn't eaten his lunch. I gave him half a pouch of Wainwrights that I had in the cupboard and it was gone in seconds!

So I trundled off to Pets at Home and bought tins of Wainwrights (I assume that this is the same content as the pouches/trays but just cheaper to buy like this??), PaH appear to have overhauled their puppy food section and no longer sell Natures Harvest or the other one, just ND or Wainwrights.

The smell is very different too, although ND didn't smell bad it didn't smell right. I spoke to the lad and the check out and he agreed that if I bring the remaining trays in they will refund them.

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I think you are very wise! I've seen countless threads on Dogsey about this food, and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole now.

Here's one, which also includes another one 3 or 4 posts down on it!
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=83047

Stick with that Wainwrights and I'm sure you won't have any more problems. I've used those trays of wet and my dog loves them.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Back on the Wainwrights and he's eating again happily AND his poo's are much smaller, firmer and nicer (less smelly!) than when he was on the ND. Not something I expected to happen as they appear to be fairly similar feeds.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
Back on the Wainwrights and he's eating again happily AND his poo's are much smaller, firmer and nicer (less smelly!) than when he was on the ND. Not something I expected to happen as they appear to be fairly similar feeds.
I've never been a believer in carrying on regardless if my dog suddenly stops eating.

I think it's wise to listen to what our dogs are saying and if they are saying they don't like or want a particular brand of food, it's no big deal to change to another.

Glad you've got your youngster sorted now