Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 07:01 AM

Dog won't get into the car. Any advice?

Hi all just wondering if anybody had any ideas how to get a stubbron 6 stone lump into the car,tried treats,tried leaving her sitting and getting in the car,eventually she gets in but it takes ages and we have a bit of pushing going on to get her in,when she gets close the door she is fine will get in no problems,but when we start out she sits about 4-5 ft away and refuses to budge.IMO I think she is just being stubborn.She isn't car sick anymore,and we like to take her out with us and its always nice places we go.

We also have a problem with her coming in from the end of her walk,she is on lead when we get near to the end of the field near our house incase anyone about she still has a habit of jumping up people doesn't do it to me now as I ignore her but very hard to educate people you don't know she plonks herself down and refuses to budge,if you ignore her she gets up walks a couple of paces then sits again and if you tug at her lead she lays down,have tried trails of chicken etc.,and finding different ways home as a distraction but after a couple of goes she has learnt that one, the neighbours find it hilarious,it won't be so funny when its raining and very cold.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Not sure how old your dog is. As a large, heavy dog she should not be jumping in or out of the car unassisted if she is under 12 months old. If she has finished growing then try thowing a treat into the car with your command "in" or whatever you use. If that does not work then I would give her one chance to get in. If she refuses then I would immediately put her indoors and go off without her. It will not take long for her to realize that her refusal to get in the car will not be met with bribes and cajoling - it simply means that she gets left behind.

Refusal to walk home - you need to do some obedience with her so that she automatically responds to the command "heel". If you do not have an obedience school to go to then it is quite eay to train - just sing out and we will try to help you to train her
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Thankyou our cars are quite low to the ground and Zanta doesn't have to jump she can more or less step in,have taken into the consideration the effect on joints.No I don't have a good training school nearby,and am working on the heel,didn't take as long thismorning took her ball out with her and that seemed to help focus her,but any advice on the heelwork would be greatly appreciated..
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Teagan sometimes refuses to get into the car....I lift her front end into the car, putting her paws on the seat, then lift her back end in after! lol
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 08:15 AM
We have to do that sometimes,when we can get her close enough,thought we had cracked it last month had a great day out and she was in and out the car no probs,maybe we don't put her in it often enough I don't usually go out in the week only shopping or over to take my mum shopping so not practical to take Zanta with me.
Suppose I could spend 5 mins a day trying to see if I can convince her to get in,I have some great places to walk besides here at home and would like to take her.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

19-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Zantababy
No I don't have a good training school nearby,and am working on the heel,didn't take as long thismorning took her ball out with her and that seemed to help focus her,but any advice on the heelwork would be greatly appreciated..
How are you training heelwork, and how far have you both progressed? She should understand the word 'heel' and respond automatically.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Probably not very well I have a small piece about heelwork by Ian Dunbar in my berner book,and he suggests to train them to heel off the lead which is what I am doing over the field by my house,she is quite good but sometimes get distracted,I am also teaching her while on the lead and she is eventually beginning to walk nicely,must admit because we have a nice field just outside our front door she is mostly off the lead do you think I should walk her more on the lead,that will be happening when the weather is bad.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

19-09-2005, 08:26 AM
I will get back to you - have to dash
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Ok will look forward to hearing from you,I must get some washign in.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2005, 10:28 AM
the other things you can get is a car ramp for her to walk up into the car.
ours just step up the first time i got in the boot to get toby to join me to get the idea you can climb in here....sounds daft but it worked.
if she is stubborn which they can be i just give them a tug and say come............ not easy to move a dog their size if they don't wanna go.
i have tried to split their walks into 2 some fields some on the lead round the streets just to keep it in their heads you walk to heel when on the street.
maybe she doesn't like to be lead cause shes used to doing her own thing?
hope it helps a bit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >