View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-12-2010, 09:51 PM

£30,000 to send your child to Uni - could you afford it?

Now that it's all gone through - could you afford £30,000 per child to send them to Uni?

Would you expect them to get loans?

Do you think it's worth the 'ris'k given it's hard enough to get a job as it is?

Do you have kids that went to Uni? If so do you think they would have if the fees were £9k per year?

Personally, I find it all a bit worrying - as I think a lot of young people will decide not to go now So not only will that mean less educated people, but that we'll require more immigration as we won't have the skills in house!
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
My children are lucky I won a sum of money a few years ag and put a lot away for them in the future so as things stand I can afford to send them but I don't know if they'll want to go. A lot of people wont be able to afford it which isn't good but it'll be years before the government realise there isn't anybody with the right qualifactions for the job.

Altho there is the option for NVQs I have 3 all done whilst in work level 2 and 3 in care and level 3 in team leading this is something I'd be more willing to push on to my children as they will be earning and learnning not learning and sliding into debt.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
It really is worrying! My son has only just started his first year at Uni,I don't know what to think if all he can get out of it is a shelf stacking job & a load of debt!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I was considering uni...not sure now, we shall see! - but its worrying indeed!
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
My daughters doing a levels at the moment I don't know is the answer, because you have got to add more for accomodation and living expenses on top off that and I know when my sister in law went a few years ago it was costing £3000 a year for accomodation When the time comes if she wants to go she will have to get in debt for the most of it and pay it back if and when she's earning. We all need to become scottish!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I told my son today what it would cost him and he said he would not go......would leave school and get a job instead. He would normally be an academic high flyer who would attend uni and get a good degree. Interesting to hear his take on it at 14!

I would still want my three kids to go on to Uni , Getting a degree is very importnat and I value the pathways that is opens up . Both myself and my Husband are university educated and I know how much of a life changing experience it was.....I would not want my children to miss out due to financial restraint.

HOWEVER.....the thought of funding three children through university or loading them up with debt does fill me with horror. we have always instilled in our children that debt is a bad thing. Apart from our mortgage it is never something we have had to face and have been very careful to live within our means and instil the same values in our children.

I am also worried that students will only pick degrees which lead to higher paying careers.....Where will our public sector workers come from such as teachers and nurses if they know they will be financially penalised for choosing such a career....

Why can't it be a percentage tax so that the amount paid back is a percentage of earnings for a set number of years?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I left Uni 8 years ago with approx £20k of debt (from student loans etc). I only started paying it back 2 years ago (as that was when my salary hit the threshold). I pay it back through my wageslip... it's about £100 a month.

To be honest, I don't even notice it - I know I'll be paying it off for ages, but it's not a concern.

P.S. Don't ask me about fees and universities. Working in a university that will be directly affected by the education cuts gives me a good perspective on the whole thing. I get very angry at the protesting students. If they are that bothered about education, maybe they should get back in the classroom rather than shouting at politicians...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't see how anyone but the very well off could part with £30,000 to pay for their child's tuition fees without loans.

Is the risk of going to Uni worth it....totally depends on what you do. I think once upon a time attending University was reserved for those who did well academically. There were far fewer graduates and those that did, often walked straight into graduate jobs. Now, there are far many more graduates than jobs and getting onto graduate schemes is far more difficult and super competitive. Heck, getting ANY job that uses your degree is very difficult, never mind graduate schemes.

I have a very good biology degree and guess what...I work in pet retail. Granted I haven't been looking for anything more up my street in a serious way since I graduated in the summer (it's been quite nice having a 'break' from academia and doing something that requires no brain power!), but will be in the new year. TBH I feel lucky in having that as decent jobs are so thin on the ground.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Both of my sons left school to go to work, one after A levels the other straight after his Gcse's they both have well paid jobs and have always worked from the day they left school. The eldest did consider uni and rejected the idea the younger one never even considered it. They both did extremely well in their exams and have continued to do well at work. I wouldn't have paid they would have needed to take out loans if they wanted to go, however my husbands son from his previous relationship did go to uni and dropped out twice on two different courses so has the debt with nothing to show for it, he also has a pretty crap job. I think if they want to go to uni they should be the ones willing to make the sacrifice and if there was more money available for the education budget I think it should be spent on the compulsory education budget and not so called high fliers who half the time are anything but.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 10:16 PM
It's just ridiculous....my parents paid for me (and my sister) to go to uni. I'm so grateful they did because I wouldn't be where I am now without my degree and PG Dip. I would like to think I could pay for my kids to go to uni but it's going to take some hefty saving up, which means living tightly for a few years - not good!

University has been worth it for me in my chosen career, it was compulsory...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »