View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jap
Dogsey Junior

25-07-2004, 09:01 PM

Rogue Kennels Presa Pups

Well here we are the rest of the mob, they are 8 weeks old today.

We have 4 girls and 5 boys.

Names - Aisha - Aponi - Alita - Anika - Females

- Alroy - Akash - Asim - Aubin - Apache - Males

They all have specific meanings, relating to each pup.

Jane
Rogue Kennels UK
07708 602 306

Jane
Rogue Kennels UK
07708 602 306
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Gorgeous, especially the last photo
Meg
Supervisor

25-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi I will have the last one please I had never come across these dogs in the flesh so to speak until I joined DW, arn't they amazing? Do you have a history of them? Are they an old breed?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-07-2004, 11:37 PM
That last one is a cuteee!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 05:38 AM
They are gorgeous Jane! Do you import a lot of dogs are most of your pups sold in the UK? Good luck with them!

Minihaha, I'll leave Jane to give you the history on them, but I'll give you an interesting fact; the Canary Islands were not named for canary birds, but Canary Dogs, which are Presa Canarios
Meg
Supervisor

26-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Barbara
They are gorgeous Jane! Do you import a lot of dogs are most of your pups sold in the UK? Good luck with them!

Minihaha, I'll leave Jane to give you the history on them, but I'll give you an interesting fact; the Canary Islands were not named for canary birds, but Canary Dogs, which are Presa Canarios
Gosh I never knew that Barbara I think they are fairly new to this country though? Arn't these puppies just perfect
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

26-07-2004, 09:01 AM
First one please. Wrap him up and send him over to me.
jap
Dogsey Junior

26-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your kind words about pups.

Hi Barbara.
In answer to your questions:

we only have two imports, but are going over before end of year to look and hopefully purchase a few more.

These pups have not gone abroad, but we have 3 booked to go to Canada from Fausto X Vivi.

The picture at the top is our largest male Apache, he weighed 10.2 kg on Sunday 25th, Apache by the way is Spanish for "Dark One" he is a black brindle and still available. We have another three males and one female avaliable.
Sorry Little Anika "Sweetness of Face - African" Pic at bottom) has already been sold.

Now to history -

It is a very confused history and most will disagree with Barbara and say that the Islands were there before the dogs and so therefore were not named after them. It really depends on which history you read

History taken from Manuel Curto Gracia - Irema Curto Kennels - Tenerife - The breeder we purchase all of our dogs from.

Molosser dog original of the Canary Islands. From XVI, in the Agreements of the Cabildo de Tenerife, in Decrees of Tenerife, and the Agreements of the Cabildo de Betancuria (Fuerteventura) is mentioned, among other canine breeds, the dogs of presa (griping dogs). Most logical is to think that this dog was brought to the Canary Islands by the conquerors and Spanish colono of the Iberian Peninsula. Soon, with time and the isolation, could derive in a completely differentiated breed. In the Canary Islands, the presa dogs were used for the guard of the properties, the safekeeping of the cattle and like help for butcher at the sacrifice of the cattle. About these dogs we only counted on written references, and its extinction could happen at the end of XIX or the three first decades of the XX. From 1920 to 1950, more or less, with the purpose of obtaining dogs for the fight, different imported breeds are crossed (Spanish Mastiff, English Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Great Dane also know as Deutche Dogo) the Perro de Ganado Majorero (livestock guarding dog from Fuerteventura -Canary Islands) and the dog of the land (of Gran Canaria, extinct for several decades), of characteristics similar to the Perro de Ganado Majorero. And like this one, in my opinion, descendant of the Spanish livestock guarding dogs brought to the islands by the conquerors and Spanish colonos. With the prohibition of the fights around 1945, these dogs of presa also disappear. In 1975-6 the liking to the dogs of presa appears again, and in gradual way, by means of crossings with several imported canine breeds (English Bulldog, Neopolitan Mastiff, Bullmastiff, Mastiff, Great Dane, Bullterrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Spanish Mastiff) plus the Perro de Ganado Majorero -the dog of the land or livestock guarding dog of Gran Canaria no longer exist in those dates-, is developed the new Perro de Presa Canario.

This was written by someone, of whom I do not know and have no name, but to me it sums up this breed perfectly.

"Its appearance is extraordinarily powerful. Attentive gaze. Especially gifted for the function of guard and defence. Frequently has been used for safe keeping and conduction of the cattle. Firm temperament. Serious and deep bark. Noble and tame in the family and distrustful with strangers.

The perfect Guardian

This is a picture of Fausto de Irema Curto at 5 months old, he has the same sire as our pups Vento de Irema Curto - Look at that gaze - Sorry about his bits but I could not find a fig leaf to cover his modesty LOL. He will be here 1st week of September.

If you would like any further info please do not hesitate to contact me.

Rgds
Jane
Rogue Kennels UK
07708 602 306

Just in - Fausto here 3rd August.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 10:45 AM
oh i,d love them all,they are just sooooooo lovely :smt049
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran