Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
How do you know? I thought it was? As far as I'm aware, it is up here. Must ask my friend who works for the DSS.

And it used to be £10 a week? In fact, a local junkie even boasted to me that he gets this extra money for the dog!
Junkies are liars. It goes with the territory. I brought 3 kids up on income support and never got a bean for the dogs.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Exactly Elaine! weedle out the bogus claimers and the people who really do take the p**s and make it easier for genuine claimants to claim. I have no problem in genuine people claiming either but it galls me when people claim who either aren't entitled or have kids purely for benefits.
I also know someone who claims DLA and has a blue badge due to a bad back but manages to play 18 holes of golf every day whilst carrying a heavy golf bag!! Now that's taking the ****!!
This is my stance also.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2010, 09:31 AM
ive just gone back to work (pt) after 17 years of bein g at home(although have done a few cleaning jobs shop work thaty fitted in with hubby when he was home) i have 4 kids (all same father! my husband!!)and left it til my son was 13 to claim dla and carers allowence for his mental disability as felt i was his mother this was my job but when on suicide watch with him his dr insisted i claimed, which i did til he was 16 .
I would have loved to have gone to work but who wouldve employed me whne i needed to be on standby for him to collect from school as hed kicked off again and they wanted him out (which happened weekly!)it was either me or the police!
hes now on proper medication now and i can go part time to work and off from being a carer.oh and my husband works long hours and is away all week only home at weekends as he has to go where the work takes him
i do beileve it is unfair on some people esp the carers who get ****** all and the ones who know how the system work and take advantage of it
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Someone joked earlier about china having the right idea, to be fair i dont think it would be a bad thing in as much as, if you cant afford to have one but do, you can get benefits but have another then you get nothing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
How do you know? I thought it was? As far as I'm aware, it is up here. Must ask my friend who works for the DSS.

And it used to be £10 a week? In fact, a local junkie even boasted to me that he gets this extra money for the dog!
There is no extra payment for any pets no matter what anyone says.

As for the DSS-I worked for the DWP(Previously Dept of Employment, then DHSS, then DSS)for 34 + years & I know there is no money payable other than the set amounts based on age, children, disabilities etc etc etc many many years ago when the non contributory benefit was called Supplementary Benefit, there was a proviso for certain added amounts, but this never included alcohol or pets.

There is so much cr*p that people9who have never had to live on on benefits)believe about benefits & the recipients it's laughable. Take it from one who has been on both sides on the system unless you know the facts & have seen the proof in writing it probably ain't true.

BTW when I get my gross occupational pension(which will of course be taxed) it will be around the same amount as my salary after tax 6 years ago !!! The frontline staff do not get huge salaries-that's reserved for the top echelons of the Permanent Secretaries etc
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Someone joked earlier about china having the right idea, to be fair i dont think it would be a bad thing in as much as, if you cant afford to have one but do, you can get benefits but have another then you get nothing.
Of course in China girl babies are abandoned(often left to die)due to this rule, leaving the parents to try again for a boy !
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I'd like to ask a question if I may. Do people who worked for the Government, such as yourself Dianne, get MORE of a pension than somebody who worked in the public sector all their lives? I just had an incline that they do, and wondered why, if they paid the same amount in each week as the likes of an ordinary working person? If that's the case, then I don't think that's very fair either?? They can cut that one out then!!!!

Another thing that I don't think is fair about the pension is that a friend of mine who has only ever worked for about ONE month in her entire life, she got married, had a couple of kids and we both did our pension forecast together and yet, SHE gets more than I do, and yet I worked all my life, paid my stamps when self-employed, but just had maybe a couple of years out inbetween setting up another business, and yet my friend had donkey's years of not working, I can't understand that either! In fact, I think I should get more coz I didn't have the kids so didn't claim for this that and the other which goes with them!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'd like to ask a question if I may. Do people who worked for the Government, such as yourself Dianne, get MORE of a pension than somebody who worked in the public sector all their lives? I just had an incline that they do, and wondered why, if they paid the same amount in each week as the likes of an ordinary working person? If that's the case, then I don't think that's very fair either?? They can cut that one out then!!!!

Another thing that I don't think is fair about the pension is that a friend of mine who has only ever worked for about ONE month in her entire life, she got married, had a couple of kids and we both did our pension forecast together and yet, SHE gets more than I do, and yet I worked all my life, paid my stamps when self-employed, but just had maybe a couple of years out inbetween setting up another business, and yet my friend had donkey's years of not working, I can't understand that either! In fact, I think I should get more coz I didn't have the kids so didn't claim for this that and the other which goes with them!!!
Civil Service pensions are not paid for by deductions from salary, however a % of the total budget allocated for salaries. So the deductions are made before the salaries are paid. however the pensions paid to legal partners & children are paid for by deductions-even if you don't have either a legal partner nor children. Civil Service Frontline staff salaries have always been lower that Local Government & private employers. I will only get the basic retirement pension next year BTW as Civil Servants are contracted out of SERPS(State Earning Related Pension Scheme)so I will get the basic pension + the graduated pension that was paid for before the current National Insurance % Contributions started.

There are ways of qualifying for a full pension other than actually paying National Insurance contributions. For example: Home responsiblities protection-the equivalent of a weekly basic contribution for people who have a child under the age of 19(started when "Family Allowance(as it then was)"not being paid for the first child came in), also people who receive a non contrabution based benefit-like Carers Allowance ) Also if a contributory benefit has been paid there is a credit of contribution paid. However there is a basic qualification of paid National Insurance Contibutions that has to be satisfied, before the payment of Retirement Pension, so she must have been employed for more than a couple of months-it's a minmum of 25 times the lower limit of contributions, unless it is a married woman's pension that is payable & then that is based solely on her husband's contributions
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2010, 01:10 PM
If you have kids and are in receipt of child benefit that also qualifies as pension credits doesn't it ? So if you space your kids out that adds a good few years.
They also reduced the number of qualifying years to 30 not so long ago
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
mmnn well this family walk away with more than my little family,.

My hubby earns less than that a month,
I dont work, since having Luca chose to bring him up., which is what I wanted to do.
We have a mortgage, bills, 2 cars etc to come off our £2000 per month that we earn.
I claim my child benefit which is £80 per month, but we dont claim the tax credit, and we dont qualify for anything else.
We dont have a plasma TV. We cant afford lavish holidays., we have to pay for our dog etc etc.

This is what i dont understand, these people dont work, yet walk away with more money than we have by far at the end of a month, as they arent paying their mortgage etc etc .

Its just bizarre isnt it - the middle ground is completely left to their own devices, the really needy who do struggle through loss of job/split of families etc dont get enough help, and those that know how to milk the system get away with it all...

I am not sure whether any of the things brought in by this new coalition govnt will work as many dont apply as yet.

I did qualify for the £190 health in pregnancy grant this time, but they dont give you it til 28 weeks yet its supposed to be to eat healthily etc, yet those on benefits get £500 - but why do they need more if its for healthy eating ?? They spend it on their chavvy pram or whatever anyway not on eating better, or stopping smoking etc etc.

I do believe if you cant afford to have a kid, you shouldnt have it, and its almost like we pay people to have kids !! WE chose to have our child, and I chose not to go back to work, however we had to suck our belts in to do that, things had to give, and sometimes its beans on toast at end of month, we are only paying interest only on our mortgage etc but ultimately I am happy that I am doing the best for my son, and for this next bub, but once they are school age I hope to go back to work and continue to earn to support ourselves.

I just dont understand why people think they have a right to things...

Also my little brother is severely disabled, and although he got disability etc etc, my parents had to fund the big things like a bath for him etc as because it was deemed a luxury he wasnt entitled to it, yet had my mum and dad been on benefits he would have got whatever they asked for.
Its just not right.
From what I understand, the £190 is for Health in pregnancy money. And the £500 is a grant to buy a new cot and mattress, pushchair etc......

But from January if you're on benefits, you can only get that £500 for your first pregnancy.

Which is good really, as I knew someone who admitted she only has children to get the grant! Last time I counted, she'd just had her 8th child! x
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »