Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:06 PM

Advice-barking at other dogs whilst on lead

Ok I need some advice on what to do with one of my dogs. He has taken to barking at other dogs. This has come about as latley There has been a dog tied up out side the corner shop when I am walking mine it barks like a crazy thing. Then we have started to bump in to it around our town now my dog has started barking back.
He has a very deep bark and it sounds quite scarry but he has not got a once of aggression in him its more a fear bark as he is always submissive around other dogs.

The last couple of days he has had a bark at other dogs that he has seen across the street and they have seen him IYKWIM. He also jumps like a Kangaroo when he is barking. I have just been saying shh and carried on walking best I can with him leaping like a idiot.

He isa dog that is not in to food and does not care for treats whilst out as there are better things to do than eat.
Not in to toys either so not sure what to distract him with other than taping him up with gaffer tape.

TIA
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm dealing with the same problem as you with my rescue dog. He's done it ever since we got him just over a year ago. We think ours does it because he wants to play with the other dog and he gets frustrated when he can't. He only ever barks at other dogs when he's on his lead. Off lead he is brilliant with other dogs.

I tried the distractions with food, squeaky toys, turning in the other direction, ignoring him and walking on, ignoring him and standing still. Nothing worked.

I went to Dog's Trust recently and had a good training session just on his barking. I was advised to let him know that I DO NOT want him to bark at other dogs.

So before he gets started, as soon as I notice him reacting (it just has to be a slight pricking of the ears in my dog's case) I say 'Leave it!' in a very firm tone of voice and give him a correction with his lead (he wears a harness so no damage to his neck) while carrying on walking past.

We've been doing it for just over a fortnight now and there's definately an improvement, although it's not working every time. The other evening I got him to walk past a dog on the other side of the road, just using the vocal command. I didn't have to do any correcting at all. Usually he would be barking, spinning, pulling even at a dog over the road, but he just walked past no problem.

The thing with this is you have to do it EVERY time. If you don't do it just once, you go back to square one. I think it's also important to try to understand what your dog's motivation is: is it aggressive barking? does it start barking before the other dog or is it just when the other dog barks? how is your dog off lead with other dogs?

HTH x
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi
thanks for the reply. He sounds just like your dog its not agressive barking more I want to play which is why he jumps he is excited.
He did it this moring to a greyhound that he loves to play with and before we got to it he started the jumping and barking.
The thing that pee'sme off is the tuts I have got from other people that think he is being agressive. He has never been agressive with other dogs even if they have been funny with him.
He is fine off lead with all dogs.
He will sometimes bark first but only if they are behaving excited and looking at him.
It is a I want to get to you to play bark.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I know - I've had the same thing off people and I've got a small dog, so I can totally sympathise with you.

We were walking up the road a coupleof months ago and an old fella with a lab walked up the other side. Bryan started barking at the dog and the fella walked past shaking his head and tutting.

So I called 'Must be great to have a perfect dog!'

The best advice I was given (from a lovely lady on this forum) is take no notice of other people. It's your dog that's important and it doesn't matter what other people think.

Good luck x