Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Dog running up and barking at dogs on lead

I have a friend and another dog who I walk my boys with. He is a whippet cross. He is approximately 9 months old and has been neutered.

when Sudo (Lurcher) is off lead and he sees another dog on a lead he runs over and starts barking at the dog and lunging forward (it is more noise, no bitting). he is perfectly fine with other dogs who are off their leads.

my friend would really like to get this sorted out.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to train him to stop doing this please?

Thanks in advance.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm no expert but I would have him on a (training) lead and play a game - reward when he looks when dogs around, gradually the lead gets longer (dogs closer over time) same principle throughout.......

dont know what others think?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
If he has a good recall then better timing. Does he have a leave?

I don't think he should have the privilege of being off lead yet if he is behaving this way. I know my dog may NOT appreciate or tolerate this!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
I have a friend and another dog who I walk my boys with. He is a whippet cross. He is approximately 9 months old and has been neutered.

when Sudo (Whippet) is off lead and he sees another dog on a lead he runs over and starts barking at the dog and lunging forward (it is more noise, no bitting). he is perfectly fine with other dogs who are off their leads.

my friend would really like to get this sorted out.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to train him to stop doing this please?

Thanks in advance.

Please tell your friend that by allowing this dog off lead, he is putting his dog in danger. Because if this whippet goes charging up to the wrong dog and barks at it, he may get more than he bargained for.

This dog should not be off lead at all unless a solid recall is in place.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
If he has a good recall then better timing. Does he have a leave?

I don't think he should have the privilege of being off lead yet if he is behaving this way. I know my dog may NOT appreciate or tolerate this!
yes he does have a good recall. I think he's still getting trained on leave.

Thanks for the advice
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Please tell your friend that by allowing this dog off lead, he is putting his dog in danger. Because if this whippet goes charging up to the wrong dog and barks at it, he may get more than he bargained for.This dog should not be off lead at all unless a solid recall is in place.
Thanks for the advice. he does have an excellent recall TBH. I have sort of said you dont want him approaching the wrong dog.

Sorry, I edited the post he's atcually a lurcher.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I am a bit confused, if the dog has a good recall, how come he can actually access dogs on leads?
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am a bit confused, if the dog has a good recall, how come he can actually access dogs on leads?
Because she hasnt noticed the other dog on lead until its too late and she then recalls and he comes back.

Smokeybear you have any links for some good articles. you usually post some good stuff!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
If he has a good recal then simply call him back and put him on the lead while other dogs are about

It is what Mia does (or would do given the chance) - but as soon as i found that out then she simply cannot be alowed to do that
and as in that situation her recal isnt good enough then she cannot be offlead where there are onlead dogs - and I am training her to be calm around onlead dogs

But he cannot be let practise this anymore, the more he does it the harder the habit to break - and the bigger the chance he finds out the reason some dogs are onlead
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

That's what I was just about to post.

To the OP: is it that the owner is letting his lurcher go racing over to dogs in the hope that he'll suddenly start displaying friendly behaviour?

I'll be blunt: if I had my dog on a lead and someone actually let their off leash dog come zooming over, only to then bark and lunge, then that dog owner would sure as hell feel my wrath!!!

It is a very unfair way to behave given that your friend does NOT know these other dogs nor what they and their owners are maybe coping with. My Lab would go MAD if a strange dog came racing over like that.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >