Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 09:35 PM

Appetite after castration

I had my dog castrated within the last month, since then his appetite seems top have increased, is this normal or has this nothing to do with him becoming really greedy?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2006, 09:48 PM
You will have to watch his weight now he's been castrated,but its nothing to worry about! Normal excercise and activity will keep him at his ideal weight while being fed the right amount of food.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 09:52 PM
So am I right in thinking that his increased appetite is due to him being castrated?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I've always owned males and i honestly havent seen an increase in appetite after castration to tell the truth,but it does apparently slow down their metabolic rate with how they deal with it and can allow them to gain un-necessary weight.

If he was done a month ago,you would have kept his excericse to a minimum for a while afterwards for recovery and i think he's now making up for lost time so needs more food cause of increased activity! I may be wrong,but this is my theory!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:03 PM
How old is he Shaza ? Fully grown or still growing a bit ?

One likelihood is that he was rested following the op but is now back up to speed and using more energy which can increase appetite, rather than the snip itself.
Don`t be tempted to feed him extra unless he drops weight, snipped dogs [ usually ] need less food, not more, but have a word with the vet if you are worried at all.
No chance he might have picked up worms recently ? [ not relevent if he has been wormed recently with something like Drontal, tis just a thought ]

edited to add, I was typing when Steve posted, sorry Steve I was`nt copying you lol
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:15 PM
He's 20 months old. He had his drontal worming tablet the same day he had his stitches out so that was about a month ago.

I just found it really odd that his appetite seems to have increased since his operation. He used to not bother too much about his breakfast as it was just Burns complete but now he demolishes it in seconds. He just seems to be hungry all the time.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2006, 10:27 PM
A good appetite can indicate a happy and healthy dog so unless he visibly looks too slim-i wouldnt worry too much about it.Its always best to keep dogs slightly lean as its better for their health than being overweight.Your vet will be able to assess him visibly which we cannot here and would put your mind at rest,but i would imagine he/she would have said something when his stitches were removed if there were any concerns.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Dont worry, it does just sound like increased appetite from using more energy after resting up, and it takes a little time for the testosterone levels which have a lot to do with appetite to ease off, [ in terms of calorific intake need ], but that will settle fairly soon. Just keep feeding his usual amount for now and perhaps get him a Kong or Busterball to make his meals last a little longer which should make him a bit more satisfied while everything settles hormonally
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:35 PM
It takes a good 6months for any changes to be apparent soi 'd put it down blatant hunger for now
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 08:23 AM
I have never noticed any real changes of appetite after having dogs castrated or bitches spayed. I have never had one be prone to putting on weight either (perhaps I'm just lucky)
My two that I have now were both spayed and castrated at 6 months old and neither hold any excess weight, but then they are both very active and in fact they are given more than the reccomended amount of food for thier sizes.
I tend to feed as to what suits the individual dog quantity wise and be guided by how they look and act.
Is your dog getting more exercise now or feeling more full of himself, if so he could be burning off the food and need a little extra.
If not try splitting the food into 2 or 3 meals and perhaps giving a carrot to eat and play with between meals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >