Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
woofwoof12
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2015, 03:59 AM

Anxious dog, no idea what to do :(

So we got our cockapoo almost 4 years ago when he was still a pup, about 11 weeks old.. He's always been super sweet, energetic and friendly. Around the time he turnt 1, he began showing signs of anxiety.. Over the years it has progressed. Started with him wetting inside the house when he's housebroken , destroying the house when left alone, eventually he started to turn on me whenever my boyfriend was home... I generally care for our dog more so we found that strange. He would growl at me, bit me several times, show whale eye.. After several trips to the vet, various dog trainers, anti anxiety vitamins ( not prescription pills), and serious life style changes on our part, we thought we had this nasty problem behind us... For at least 6 months, he's been a dream... Over the last 3 weeks the signs started up again.. Lately all he does when his "daddy" is home, I stare at me, makes whining noises, and just basically stay up my ___ for lack of better words.. He's gotten to the point where once again out of no where he just starts growling and trying to attack us.. Only change is this time around his aggression is mostly towards my boyfriend not so much me.. We have kept up with protocol as per our last trainer, tried thunder jackets, nothing helps.. We have even caught him in the bathroom by himself growling low for no reason we can figure out...

I'm really trying to avoid meds if I can because I don't want to ruin his organs, but this stress he's under isn't healthy either... Anyone have any experiences like this? Or some advice....
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Has he had a full check over by the vet, I think there's something medically wrong with him.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2015, 10:04 AM
I agree. This does sound like a medical problem. It sounds as if you might have been offered stronger medication - why not give it a try for a short term. It could help with the diagnosis. Good luck, you obviously care a great deal about your boy.
woofwoof12
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys.. Yeah we had a full check and our vet said he was fine medically.. I am looking to go else where for a second opinion... I do think there's something medically wrong too.. Forgot to mention when he's in his growling stage, his tounge turns blue... Once he's calm his tounge is normal... And nope we haven't been offered meds, I just know that's likely to be an option
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2015, 01:12 PM
I'd seriously want the opinion of another vet.

Just one thought though, does this coincide with any flea treatments, shots or changes in diet by any chance?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by woofwoof12 View Post
when he's in his growling stage, his tounge turns blue...
Oh gosh that's definately a medical problem, I can't give any advice except to say that all my books tell me to keep an eye on the tongue, if it turns blue that is an indication (If I remember correctly) of lack of oxygen in the blood supply.

There maybe other reasons but whatever the cause you need to get medical advice, going to another vet might be the way, depends on how much faith you have in your current vet practice.

Wishing you the best and a good outcome.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-10-2015, 05:15 PM
and our vet said he was fine medically..
But did he / she know about his tongue turning blue
woofwoof12
New Member!
Female 

21-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Yes we mentioned it to him and he tested for oxygen flow to brain and the initial test showed him on the lower level of normal. The follow up tests showed everything normal. But I think I'm going to call a new vet now I appreciate the advice all
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-10-2015, 09:13 PM
I think I'm going to call a new vet now I appreciate the advice all
Yes, that might be a good idea.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Oh gosh that's definately a medical problem, I can't give any advice except to say that all my books tell me to keep an eye on the tongue, if it turns blue that is an indication (If I remember correctly) of lack of oxygen in the blood supply.

There maybe other reasons but whatever the cause you need to get medical advice, going to another vet might be the way, depends on how much faith you have in your current vet practice.

Wishing you the best and a good outcome.
What Losos said! Yes, that is a sign of low oxygen in the blood. That may be indicative of a heart condition that might not show up with a routine examination, or of something that could be causing a blockage in breathing somewhere. You may want to have an ultrasound of the heart done and X-rays to check for structural problems in the palate that could be causing this.

Another thing to ask about-- I kind of don't want to say this, but I feel I should-- is syringomyelia. It is a condition caused by the formation of a cyst on the spine, usually due to malformation of the skull and spinal column. Any dog can have the condition, but it's more common in small dogs, the brachycephalic breeds, like the Cavalier King Charles, being most susceptible. It is usually painful, and can cause signs of anxiety and aggression like you're describing. It is usually diagnosed by MRI or by CT scans and X-rays-- not cheap, but if you can't find a more obvious cause for the blueness it would be worth looking into neurology. I do hope it's not that.

Keep us posted please! Best of luck to you!