Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i liked the bracco!
So did I.... but then I liked most of them!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
To be honest, I don't watch much of the showing because I find it uncomfortable to watch the dogs being 'strung up' on those very thin show leads/collars.

Good job I'm not a judge because the winner would be the one that went around the arena on a loose lead looking relaxed and comfortable
Same old observations from someone that doesn't show.

It is sad that you feel that way, we've stressed it time and time again that a dog won't show if it's not happy, it certainly won't wag it's tail. I didn't see any being dragged around the ring, they all looked very happy, and when you see them being strung up, it is merely holding the lead in that manner, you cannot strangle the dog as it definately wouldn't move if it were gasping for breath or uncomfortable, people hold the leads in different ways depending on whats comfortable for them, nothing more sinister than that.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I liked...sorry LOVED the FCR. I am so immensely proud and have just watched the footage of him winning I cried.

He went round that ring with his tail wagging,infact it didn't stop...he is an excellent ambassador for the breed and at 9 years of age..well...it's just fab isn't it.

Well done to them!!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I liked...sorry LOVED the FCR. I am so immensely proud and have just watched the footage of him winning I cried.

He went round that ring with his tail wagging,infact it didn't stop...he is an excellent ambassador for the breed and at 9 years of age..well...it's just fab isn't it.

Well done to them!!!
He didn't look, or act like he's 9yrs though!! He looked so happy and I am glad he won too!! I want him to get the top prize so much!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I was surprised at the tension shown by some of the handlers. The GSP was looking pretty unhappy, but the handler kept grabbing at his face while they were standing which I thought would have made it worse.
The way the flatcoat was handled - she kept loosening the lead right off and chatting to him - made for a happy dog, which helped him look his best.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
To be honest, I don't watch much of the showing because I find it uncomfortable to watch the dogs being 'strung up' on those very thin show leads/collars.

Good job I'm not a judge because the winner would be the one that went around the arena on a loose lead looking relaxed and comfortable
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I was surprised at the tension shown by some of the handlers. The GSP was looking pretty unhappy, but the handler kept grabbing at his face while they were standing which I thought would have made it worse.
The way the flatcoat was handled - she kept loosening the lead right off and chatting to him - made for a happy dog, which helped him look his best.
Yep. He handled him really, really well and their relationship shone through. Yay for FCRs
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
He didn't look, or act like he's 9yrs though!! He looked so happy and I am glad he won too!! I want him to get the top prize so much!!

Cosmo's sister is on the Discover Dogs stand today....they are anticipating being a tad busy as a result of last night!
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Flatcoat for me all the way............liked the Bracco & Spinone.
Was it the lady from Russia with the Am Cocker that got a tad flustered & put herself between the dog & judge? Bless...
Thought it was a good gesture of the Judge to shake hands with all other competitors as the left the ring after the Cut.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Which do you think might win or were best out of the gundog group?

Here's my short list:

Bracco Italiano
Wired Vizsla
Italian Spinone
Clumber Spaniel
Pointer

With Bracco Italiano as the one that I think stands out so my the one I think will win the group.
Exactley what she says in the same order.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Same old observations from someone that doesn't show.

It is sad that you feel that way, we've stressed it time and time again that a dog won't show if it's not happy, it certainly won't wag it's tail. I didn't see any being dragged around the ring, they all looked very happy, and when you see them being strung up, it is merely holding the lead in that manner, you cannot strangle the dog as it definately wouldn't move if it were gasping for breath or uncomfortable, people hold the leads in different ways depending on whats comfortable for them, nothing more sinister than that.
It doesn't matter how much it is 'stressed' the dog's heads are held way too high to be natural. There are lots of lead tugs (with most of the dogs) with the thin collar/lead on the most sensitive part of the throat. Just to illustrate the point (and I've no doubt whatsoever it will be seen again this year) watch the little ones being shown. I'll guarantee that you will see some with their front paws barely touching the ground at all.

There's no reason whatsoever for a dog's head to be held so high that it is in an unnatural position by means of a lead.

Personally, I think it would be nice to see the dogs without leads so that their true and natural gait can be seen, but it will never be so I barely watch the showing as it makes me uncomfortable to watch it. No offence meant to those who show, just my own personal opinion from what I see
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »