View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bantam
New Member!

06-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Should I be worried?

My dog last night started to discharge (a green like fluid), about two hours after she gave birth to a pup that was pink and had no heart beat, shes showed no signs of delivering anymore although certain sites i've looked at over the last couple of weeks have said labour can last upto 36 hours. The pup had no heartbeat, she delivered the placenter (correct spelling?).

She shows no signs of discomfort, however she occassionally pants and goes to lick her vulvar.

This is her first litter and she was only 1 two days ago.

IS it time to be worries or was the first one just a weak one? my neighbour whos had a few litters with his dog said it does happen that the weaker one comes out first and the others follow 24 hours after, is this the case?

My dog is a german shepard and her temp is below 100F.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I think I would be inclined to get her to the vet - its better to be safe than sorry
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2005, 10:01 AM
I also think you should take a trip to the vet just the check everything is ok and that there are no more pups.
Bantam
New Member!

06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks, I'll call a vet and see what they say.

Is it true about the 24 hours tho?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Bantam
Thanks, I'll call a vet and see what they say.

Is it true about the 24 hours tho?

I'm not too sure, but I wouldn't have thought so, think most puppies arrive within hours of each other
Meg
Supervisor

06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Sorry Bantam.. I have only just spotted this post, not enough info here to work things out and best not to lose any more time if there is a problem .so...
I would ring the vet and say..

What time labour started
What time the last puppy was born.
If the puppy dead or have you revived it (there could be other dead pups)

Also ..have you had a scan and when did the vet last see your bitch, is the bitch big and do you think there are many more puppies..

I would forget what is true or not..each bitch is different and so are the circumstances..all could be fine but there could also be a problem..your vet should have been informed your bitch had started to whelp anyway so that he could be on standby for any problems.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
no litter should take days to arrive.
if the dam has not delivered a pup within 2 hours its a trip to the vets.
you need to get her checked over
1) green puss is not normal
2) find out if there is anymore pups
3) why the first didn't make it
first litter or not its not sounding like a normal delivery to me the thing that i would be concerned about is the puss and the fact she is still panting and licking herself is a sign there is more pups but she can't pass it which will result in still born pups and a ill dam.
let us know.
Meg
Supervisor

06-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Bantam I am now worried having read your previous post dated the 23 july when you were not sure if your bich was mated/in whelp/in labour..did you as advised consult your vet then? What did he say..?You said it was a false alarm?
There is a chance there is something very wrong, I will not go into details but please contact the vet if you have not already done so and explain the above..if you have not seen a vet since the 23rd please tell him about that too and please do do now...
Meg
Supervisor

06-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Bantam I have just noticed the time of your last post and see it was an hour ago so I am hoping you are now at the vets, I do hope all is well.. please keep us informed of what happens if you can, we like to know all is well, also your experiences are a help to other posters in the future.
Bantam
New Member!

06-08-2005, 12:06 PM
I spoke too a vet on the phone, he didn't sound too worried about what happened last night. He got me to take her temperature whilst on the phone which came back at 37.4.

He also asked me to feel her abdomen and see if I could feel anything, Told him what I could feel which was not a lot except she kept licking me when i did it.

He says there shouldnt be anything to worry about at this stage however he said call him straight away if blood comes from her vagina or she starts being sick.

What i've noticed is that the dog is staying very close to our kitten, she keeps her paw around her and they sleep together.

She's still panting every 10 or 15 minutes.

I called the RSPCA about the last time i posted about the false alarm and they said it's common in young dogs to get confussed and think they are about to whelp.

It wasn't green puss, it was discharge in a darkish green, shes also been leaking that in the last 30 minutes as well.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >