Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Weeing in food bowl - why?!!

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why Joey wees in Chaos' food bowl (when she's finished)!!

It has happened about half a dozen times now and I was wondering if he is marking territory maybe? Although Chaos is the dominant one and Joey never challenges her for anything.

Any suggestions much appreciated and thank you in advance.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Not sure about this one, maybe it is territory but as you say its not a dominant thing. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge will help. Sorry
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Are the food bowls always in the same spot? Could it be a coincidence and the dog`s marking where they are? I always pick mine up as soon as my dogs have finished (or they all mooch round looking disappointedly into them) so it`s not something I`ve encountered.
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Are the food bowls always in the same spot? Could it be a coincidence and the dog`s marking where they are? I always pick mine up as soon as my dogs have finished (or they all mooch round looking disappointedly into them) so it`s not something I`ve encountered.
No they move around as they're eating!! As you say, I usually do pick them up as soon as they're finished but I sometimes get distracted making a cup of tea or washing up!!
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi I've seen this question before and was reading some info on wolf behaviour and found the following:

'Wolves will also use urine to scent mark food caches that have been exhausted. By marking an empty cache, the animal will not waste time digging for food that isn't there'.

The pack instinct has survived all these years, so why not this one.

Hope it helps
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jo_W View Post
Hi I've seen this question before and was reading some info on wolf behaviour and found the following:

'Wolves will also use urine to scent mark food caches that have been exhausted. By marking an empty cache, the animal will not waste time digging for food that isn't there'.

The pack instinct has survived all these years, so why not this one.

Hope it helps
Interesting!!

Thanks very much for this!!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:36 PM
If I leave a water bowl out in the garden overnight the foxes will wee and c--p in them