View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jojo-eena
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Dobiegirl do you think that something could have happened which has made your OH not want to take Roxie out ? I am not sure how my boy would cope if he didn't get his walk, sometimes at the weekend we go to Bushy or somewhere like that and I don't go till about 10 which means he has only been in the garden for toilet he's bouncing off the walls! Fortunately my OH is really good when he is around he takes him out all the time - I even have to remind him that he is still only young and we need to still think about his growing joints. In MHO you should have a good chat with OH otherwise I suspect you will start seeing behavioural problems as she gets more and more frustrated. Good luck !
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 04:56 PM
No I just think he is being lazy . and by the sounds of it im not the only one dealing with this problem . OH will always come on long walks with me, like tomorrow we are going to the lakes, he is coming whether he likes it or not. Such a shame that he doesn't want to take her out mid-week anymore.

I have to admit she is a sleep-a-holic, and if we dont remind her to eat she would happily sleep on the sofa all day. But thats no excuse to not take her out for a walk.

Unfortunately Roxys also not one to ask, or even get excited when we pick up the lead (usually because were just taking her out for a wee) I think perhaps if she was more hyper he would be forced to take her out.

I will go with peoples suggestions and start taking her after work if he hasnt!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Just a thought.....Do you think he got out of the habit of walking her when she was in season? and just hasn't got himself back into yet.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
It does get easier once you have done it for awhile & have got into a routine....I find I am more awake in the mornings after I have been out with the dogs & miss it on the very occasional times when OH takes them first thing instead of me.
Same here. I'm crap in the morning unless I get a good half hour to myself, without having to speak. Walking the dog is the best possible start to the day! OH does the evening shift. We take it in turns to cook dinner. We live in a house, not a cave, and his knuckles don't drag along the ground as he walks
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Same here. I'm crap in the morning unless I get a good half hour to myself, without having to speak. Walking the dog is the best possible start to the day! OH does the evening shift. We take it in turns to cook dinner. We live in a house, not a cave, and his knuckles don't drag along the ground as he walks
You're lucky. If I don't cook, my man will happily eat biscuits and other crap and I'll starve. He's just made himself a sandwich without even bothering to ask if I'd like one. Sorry, went off thread but am pissed off!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Dogs do need walks, even if they're not long walks. I no longer have to take my two for long walks, Takara's old enough to concentrate in the house so we play mentally stimulating games and when we go out to the park, she runs around like a loony for half an hour while I hardly have to do anything and then we walk back again!
Eddy's 12 and loves his exercise still, but he can't do too much otherwise his legs give way so I have to restrict what he is allowed to do.

A walk not only gives them the exercise they need but it challenges them mentally. When your OH says that she doesn't need it, he's not realising that, being on the pc all day is mentally stimulating him, and challenging his mind. Roxy's getting none of that. How would he feel if he just had to lay on the sofa all day, with no TV, no pc games, no books/magazines, just lay there? He'd be bored out of his skull.

On the note of walking her in the dark, I will walk my dogs in the dark but ONlead. Please don't take her to the park or something and let her off in the dark, even if you get a collar so you can see her, you can't see other people or other dogs and I had someone call Takara while I was walking her, I couldn't see him properly and thankfully Takara recognised my concern and didn't go to him. I won't walk my dogs offlead in the dark again now, it's just not worth it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
I think perhaps if she was more hyper he would be forced to take her out.
This is definitely the case, I'm still on the pc and my dogs are STILL in bed! at 9am! At one point they would wake me at 7 and cry until we went for a walk at 7.30. Now they're more settled (for some reason) I have to work myself up to take them out.

However, perhaps you should try feeding her a higher protein diet Get a working dog food - she'll be more hyperactive then and he will be forced to take her!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I must say I'm surprised that so many of you have this problem. OH works from home and doesn't usually start til about 4:00 during the week. I work 3 different shifts which means I only go out with them on the weekends unless I'm on 10-6 and I drag my butt out of bed to go with them before work. OH loves his twice daily walks with Cassie and we always go together work permitting. He would never dream of leaving me to walk her in the dark unless absolutely necessary.
If we didn't take her out for at least 2 hours a day, she would be unbearable. Dogs get bored if they don't get physical and mental stimulation. 2 hours on the beach = quiet peaceful evening for us.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Just a thought.....Do you think he got out of the habit of walking her when she was in season? and just hasn't got himself back into yet.
You may have just hit the nail on the head there trouble
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 02:07 PM
just to add - my oh used to be a bit crap at taking bruno out - now that baby luca is here he has been very good and taken bruno out himself as much as possible - I still take bruno out at least once a day with the buggy or with baby in sling. he also gets a night walk at 2 in the morning where he gets offlead with OH. at weekends he gets his long walk with both of us.

think ur oh is being a lazy so and so !!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4