Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Making their food more interesting

Basically it's only recently i've been buying bulk for my dog (15kg instead of 2kg). I think this is the first time she's had turkey and i still have about 7kg left and she has recently gone off it.
It has happened with other flavours before (mainly chicken and beef) so safe to say she hates the food as i have samples from other brands and she eats them straight down.
How do you make it more interesting for them? A few weeks a go i was adding warm water and then that stopped working and she just isn't eating that much. I'm just being a little more fussy as it hasn't happened for about a year and she's 10 now so don't want her losing too much weight.
Do i just leave it to prevent her getting fussy or add something to it? at the moment the only meat i could mix is winalot which she did like before she went on complete a few years ago. I'm assuming a small amount of 'crap' won't hurt her though.
I just don't know how long the phase is going to last
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Mine get sardines, eggs, olive oil, a bit of raw mince, cottage cheese sometimes etc, a little bit of different things every now and again with their kibble. They both eat not to bad usually but it keeps it interesting and adds some extra goodness too
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Mine are fed dried food sometimes but I mix a bit of "naturediet" wet food in or tinned sardines to make it more palateable.

Must admit that Cherry (nearly 10) has got fussier in her older age and I do cook home-cooked food for her a lot of the time in the slow-cooker as I like to see her enjoy her food. She has whatever meat they have reduced at Waitrose plus brown rice or pasta and veggies.

She will still eat the dried food when I don't cook for he though but it is a good quality one (either Pero organic chicken and rice or Barking Heads salmon and potato).

I think it is harder when you just have one dog though as they can be more fussy-Cherry knows that Parker would eat her food in a flash if she left it lying about!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:49 PM
thanks
I was just thinking about sardines to be honest as she does love fish (only food she has happily eaten 15kg of), how do you do their eggs? (i've got tons of them and it makes sense as the hamster has the boxes)
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think it is harder when you just have one dog though as they can be more fussy-Cherry knows that Parker would eat her food in a flash if she left it lying about!
My cat eats the dogs food but she either lets him have it (when he's screaming for more food) or chases him off so doesn't bother.
Should just get another dog then - soon solve it haha

Forgot to say, usually she is arden grange but i've just moved her onto senior (for glucosamine) and they only do chicken so at the moment she is on turkey wainwrights
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 01:01 PM
My old dog could only eat rice and chicken in the end...anything else went right through him. It wasn't a balanced diet but at 13 with everything else that was wrong with him the vet said that was the least of his worries!
You could add in sardines, or some other oily fish...or natural yoghurt, I often add a dollop in to make dry food more appetising. I also use Naturediet...and mine have leftovers from us,depending on the meal, mixed in as well.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm cautious of Naturediet due to the recent problems with it (there's a post on here somewhere about it) and i had a few botch packs in the ones and only order i made (not impressed)
but so far i've been suggested:
Eggs (thinking scrammbled)
Natural Yogurt
Sardines (which i think may be her favourite lol)

I've just tried putting hard boiled egg in it and she's eaten one biscuit and licked the egg off of the rest. Is raw ok? it's always been one thing i'm cautious of.
If these don't work i may get her a small bag of Arden Grange and mix it but i don't want it to upset her tummy. (she seems happier though lol)
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I just give mine raw eggs, cracked over their food but I know a lot of people give them the entire raw egg, mine also love the shells!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Mine have a spoonful of meat each with their kibble. They also get sardines once a week.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Louie started to do that but in my thread of "how do I make food interesting" I got told not to introduce too much as they can easily refuse their normal diet. Louie and the other two will have pasta mixed in with their kibble every now and again with some veg, but lately despite not wanting him on supermarket wet food - I've been putting a third of pedigree in with his biscuits - we've just moved him onto new biscuits so it's helped him settle onto that.

With Sadie as she isn't my dog, if she doesn't eat her food it is taken up after so long and she waits til her next meal - this is what I am introducing with my two although being male (no offence) they scoff their food down...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >