Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Vancouver, BC

Does anyone live out there?

If so, what's the weather like We've got 7 more sleeps until we travel there and have no idea what to pack

I've been checking out the forecast online but we all know how accurate that can be
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Ive been this time of yesr and it can be really nice and warm,but as its the West they do get a fair bit of rain sorry I cant be of any more help.Enjoy your holiday, Canada is my favourite country I shall be going in 5 weeks
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2012, 11:08 AM
SOOOOOO JEALOUS!! I love Vancouver, been twice and would move there like a shot! The first time we went it was raining in June, but it did used to be a rainforest area (Stanley Park is still classed as a rainforest). The last time we went was for my 40th birthday at the beginning of August almost four years ago and it was fantastic weather.

For my birthday, we went on a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and went from being very hot for 4 days, to very damp and chilly for a week and then back to hot for another 5 days, so had to pack a variety of clothing.

Whereabouts are you staying? We stayed at the Rosedale on Robson Hotel both times. What are you planning to do and see while there?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Nope but it is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL city. Actually the whole of BC is absolutely stunning and my two favorite holidays ever have been there.

We had an amazing 3 weeks there last time. We started in Vancouver, then onto Vancouver Island, then to Kelowna to stay with friends, then to Seattle in Washington then back to Vancouver. We saw black bears and killer whales in the wild which was brilliant. The killer whales we set out to see, the bears was just by chance when we were driving through the mountains -- a mumma and her babies playing down by a river. We pulled over to stop to watch them. Amazing.

The weather was mixed from what I remember. Looking at a college of pictures we have from the trip taken at around this time, we were in a mix of t-shirt and hoodies. So I guess it was changeable, a bit like England! wear your t-shirt but pack your raincoat type thing.

I dunno if you are going outside of Vancouver but the further inland you go the hotter it is generally. Kelowna was hot. Vancouver being on the coast is cooler.

Very jealous here. The pacific northwest is arguably one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
Whereabouts are you staying? We stayed at the Rosedale on Robson Hotel both times. What are you planning to do and see while there?
we're doing a 4 day drive through the Rockies then spending a week on a horse ranch nr Kamloops, where we (once proven we can ride!) can take the horse off on our own for up to 7hrs a day if we want but there's other things to do like fishing, swimming in the lake etc we can also have a go at rounding up their cattle and barrel racing
Then onto Vancouver for a few days before we come home, we've booked a boat ride that guarantees you seeing Orca's too and possibly some other whales and sea eagles

Soooooo excited, I've been eyeing up this place for a few years but never had anyone to go with, or the finances to do it before.

The only downside is my pooches, I've never left them for this long before (17days) Gonna miss em like crazy. At least they won't be kenneled, my friends' son is moving in to look after them here I know they'll be fine but still . .
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Jealous. Very jealous. That is all
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
we're doing a 4 day drive through the Rockies then spending a week on a horse ranch nr Kamloops, where we (once proven we can ride!) can take the horse off on our own for up to 7hrs a day if we want but there's other things to do like fishing, swimming in the lake etc we can also have a go at rounding up their cattle and barrel racing
Then onto Vancouver for a few days before we come home, we've booked a boat ride that guarantees you seeing Orca's too and possibly some other whales and sea eagles

Soooooo excited, I've been eyeing up this place for a few years but never had anyone to go with, or the finances to do it before.

The only downside is my pooches, I've never left them for this long before (17days) Gonna miss em like crazy. At least they won't be kenneled, my friends' son is moving in to look after them here I know they'll be fine but still . .
Kamloops will be hot, that was just up the road from where we stayed with friends.

I'm not sure how they can guarantee killer whale sightings. We were very lucky and saw them because they (tour boat operators) had not seen any for the previous few days. We did see various other whales too though, minke whales, etc.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure, too, how they can guarantee orca sightings.

We did a boat trip from Steveston, 30 mins down the coast, past the airport and we did see some, but only after going for three hours and then it was only a pod of three whales, all asleep just drifting on the surface with their fins sticking out of the water.

We only saw them beause all the boats that were out that day, radioed each other to say roughly where a pod had been sighted.

On the way out of the harhour, we did see a lot of seals and bald eagles along the rocky harbour protective wall though.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Iasked on my other site where we have some BC residents and this is what they said

It's a bit cloudy right now, but the sun is suppose to come out this afternoon and then it's sun, sun, sun for the foreseeable future!!!!"
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by samson13 View Post
Iasked on my other site where we have some BC residents and this is what they said

It's a bit cloudy right now, but the sun is suppose to come out this afternoon and then it's sun, sun, sun for the foreseeable future!!!!"
Wooohoooooo Thank you

RE: the whales
Evidently so the ad says the trip is between 3-7 hrs depending on where the pod is So hope I get to see them
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >