Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I'm always amazed to find so few people who know the correct way to pet a dog. You do not extend your hand palm DOWN and OVER the dogs's head as many dogs find this threatening particularly if they have ear problems.

The correct way and one which in my experience most dogs find acceptable is to extend your hand palm UP and UNDER the dog's head and stroke them under the chin or neck.

I have to admit I do kiss my dogs and give them lots of hugs, but would never dream of disturbing when they're asleep mainly because I'm enjoying the peace and quiet!

Ive had mine since they were both a few weeks old and one of the first things I taught them was "kiss-kiss", which means they either get a kiss on top of their heads from me or I receive a sloppy lick on my nose

Don't tell me .... I already know ..... I'm a rather eccentric owner!
hehe I am sure we all are
Mia has 'pook pook' which means we are gonna bump noses
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You need to lead by example, thats means you stopping kissing him on the head, if your kids see you doing it , its understandable they will also do it, no matter you telling them not to.

Make some new ground rules............when he is sleeping he is to be left alone by everyone
thanx jackbox for your reply, yeah my kids never see me kissing him as there at school and then out after school at there friends, it rarely happens, and it was mostly to put my partners mind at rest it's not an a agression thing but merely he isn't comfy with it. but as said not one rule for one and another for another, so no kissing from me no more lol. i always tell people as well when they try and let there kids come to him what he is comfy with and what he isnt. they dont listen i walk away.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
there is no need for kisses,there for your comfort, only.dogs dont care,the seek affection in different ways.and if you give it it should be a simple touch,not on the head.pushing down on the head for any reason,with hand or lips ,is negitive to the dog.some learn to exept it as non threatining.some dont
dont worry im fully aware of how to and how not to, as i said it was purely to get input and show my partner he's reacting normally, now she knows he doesn't like it and it's not a behavioral problem, she is aware if the kids do try it's a stern no. if only she could read him like i can read him, but she's learning. only thing i need to do now is drum it into my lad, my other 2 eldest know not to and as i say to them let a sleeping dog lie.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2