Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Puppy walking

Argghhh! Just need to vent my frustration here so I don't vent it on walks! Pippa is 17 weeks today and we are having trouble walking on pavements. She is fine "off road" in wooded paths and that sort of thing. But trying to walk from our house is a nightmare. She jumps into grass verges and peoples front lawns asap and then digs her little heels in and won't budge. On the way home she pulls and when I stop she goes mental on the end of the lead. I just ignore it and wait for her to stop but it's a bit embarrassing. I've been using treats and a special walking-only toy which sometimes works. I am also planning a friends dog coming to walk from our house a few times with us. I think we will get there eventually with perseverance. But MAN it's frustrating!

Any tips are welcome, but also just good to have a moan and we'll carry on with it tomorrow!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Have the lead shorter then she cannot access the verges or other people's gardens.............
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I have it as short as I can and can stop her most of the time but it's then that she goes crazy on the end of the lead like she's possessed!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 06:53 PM
I had this trouble with Pennie. I live on a busy country lane. She's scared of traffic. So all I did was sit and give her treats when traffic passed. She still spooks when really large vehicles pass but thats to be expected.

All I can say is make the onlead experience a good one. Food, toys etc. Don't rush her to the walk, as for going home I still haven't worked that one out.
Tupples
New Member!
Female 

27-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I think keeping the lead short is a solution. I understand how she must be behaving. my GSD did the same. Treats Treats and treats! and not in very heavy amounts.