View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 09:17 PM
With marching we starting off asking for paw but clicking for the paw in the air before it made contact (you can also teach Wave this way). But also added in a visual cue, so when I march, he marches!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I used the Post It on the nose trick and just click every time he swiped it off. The problem is that he thinks the trick is to wipe his nose and we have had some problems building up duration but we are getting there.

Another method is to ask for paw, lure the nose down with a treat then click for position. Shy dog lying down is super cute too, I just told him Down then gave he command and he managed to do it in that position too

Another REALLY cute one is Say Your Prayers
Oh, and bring a hanky when you sneeze
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
With marching we starting off asking for paw but clicking for the paw in the air before it made contact (you can also teach Wave this way). But also added in a visual cue, so when I march, he marches!
I have the same problem with Kestral and the shy dog pose, where she bats it off her nose for the treat but is stumped when you remove it!
Will suggest it for Mishka though

Say your prayers and the sneeze are good suggestions too.

Could also suggest resting her head..

Thats pretty much how I've been working on march with kestral too but she sits down and waves one at a time instead, same with limping she always wants to sit down

Will certainly suggest them all for the GSD though, thanks for all the suggestions everyone
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I added thr nose balance and flick treat trick on the previous post. Cain's just learned that.

With march, we started off facing the dog. Put one hand, palm up on your thigh, lift you leg and ask for paw. So the dog is putting its paw on your hand resting on your knee. Get the dog to recognise left and right and respond correctly. Then fade the hand signal and get the dog to give paw when you lift your leg. Then move it on and click earlier and earlier before the paw makes contact. Then you can move on to the dog at your side. Finally your supposed to have the dog between your legs, both facing forward, and march together. We can't do this as Cain is too tall! But Kestral could. It's a sitting march trick with just the front paws...
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks I bet Cain looks cute balancing the treat!

Just started teaching kestral say your prayers as I've never thought of that one She's almost there!

I think that certainly gives them enough to be getting on with... now just have to spend a while explain them all or find video links for them!

A bit unrelated... does anyone have a suggestion of a grain free kibble that is small enough for training treats?
This is for Kestral not the pup; I've so far found the fish4dogs and JWB turkey & veg too big.. I get through her daily rations very quickly! Don't quite want them cat kibble/very small dog size.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Get the small bite jon angels or fish4dogs
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 10:14 PM
MM you should post a thread of basic tricks and how to teach them. You and Cain are so talented
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Selection of tricks here to watch and you can participate and post video replies.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

rune
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
MM you should post a thread of basic tricks and how to teach them. You and Cain are so talented
I'm not, he's just very clever! I have wanted to record some of his tricks for a while, but it's such a faff. Maybe one day, when I get time
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Get the small bite jon angels or fish4dogs
Thanks I'll have a look in to it

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Selection of tricks here to watch and you can participate and post video replies.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

rune
Thanks, there are some great ones there! Lily holding the object is very cute. Thanks for that.
Is that a club you're a member of?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 09:24 PM
No---it has a page on the unmentionable site and the challenges are open to everyone.

You post a video reply of your dog doing the same thing. We've donea few and have some more waiting to go up.

rune
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >