Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Anxious collie

I am currently fostering a border collie. He is very timid and anxious and the slightest thing is stressing him and sends him spinning and looking for the nearest thing to bite.

He is starting to settle a bit now and is less afraid of the dogs and his new environment.

He has a huge food guarding problem and I messed up and made a small error so saw the extent of it. I now have a nice bruise on my foot.

I don't want to overwhelm the dog too soon but need some ideas to help calm him down when he gets upset.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:22 PM
ouch, poor you

does he have his own safe place? I would prob give him plenty crate time till he starts to get used to things, walks in nice quiet places

Free shaping clicker training with objects and things can help too interacting with new things with no pressure
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes he has a crate but any sound or movement and he picks up his bedding and attacks it. His crate is in the back of a room which we have no need to be in and out of but he can still see us and hear us so isn't shut away. He will lie behind my chair and settle for a bit in the evening.

We also have outdoor kennels and runs and he does go out and relax out there for a bit undisturbed. He seems quite content there for a while. I'm thinking of giving him a bone out there to gnaw on in the mornings to destress?

He is quite hunched when out for a walk as I don't think he got out as much as he should have. He froths at the mouth but does seem to relax as the walk continues and he does love his frisbee. So if I stick to one or two quiet places to start with hopefully he will become more comfortable.

Will introduce him to the clicker and see how he gets on.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:44 PM
poor guy, I am sure he will get a little more confident once he gets settled into your routine

If he is noise sensitive the actual clicker might be too much - Mia was realy scared of it when I first got her - but after a few months I totaly forgot and clicked her and she was fine

I think they are way way worse to start with as there is so much new and scary
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
poor guy, I am sure he will get a little more confident once he gets settled into your routine

If he is noise sensitive the actual clicker might be too much - Mia was realy scared of it when I first got her - but after a few months I totaly forgot and clicked her and she was fine

I think they are way way worse to start with as there is so much new and scary
I'll bear that in mind with the clicker. Our smoke alarm goes off easily and it went off last night when grilling something and he flew into his crate bless him. His eyes are wide as he listens to everything.

He is actually asleep now which is an improvement as he normally remains awake until we go off to bed.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Have you considered a DAP collar/room diffuser for him? I would give this a go, I would also consider other calmatives which may be of help.

Zyklene
Nupafeed stressless (this is magnesium supplement)
5-HTP

Would be the two of choice.

Other supplements may not be as effective eg

Skullcap and valerian
Valerian
Tranquillity Gold (Hilton Herbs)

Then you might consider a programme of systematic desensitisation using special CDs.

However, be warned, some sound sensitive dogs do not react to CDs and/or they are so sound sensitive that this may not be an option.

Also as you are only fostering this dog, some of the above may not be an option from a financial or practical point of view.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks. I may try a DAP collar to start with and see if it helps.

The good news is he is a different dog today even than yesterday. He really seemed to enjoy his walk this time and seems far more contented in general.

I put him out in the dog run this morning with a bone and he settled down to that straight away. He would not have done that a few days ago.

He and Lady were extremely wary of each other but have just spent an hour in the garden sizing each other up and are starting to relax.

Polo and Barney have hit it off suprisingly!

What a difference a day makes.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Good news indeed given time and lovely dogs to show him the ropes sounds like just the ticket
fotos?
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 06:14 PM

IMG00902-20120526-0941 by WOOZLE70, on Flickr

barney 1 by WOOZLE70, on Flickr

Barney, Fran, Tara, Polo by WOOZLE70, on Flickr
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Aww thankyou, he looks lovely, intense!! but will make a great dog for someone who understands him
Is he still young?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >