Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2010, 11:54 AM

Puppy pads or not?

Hi i have had my Bishon Frise puppy for a few days and have been using puppy pads to train him. After reading some of the posts i think it may not be such a good idea. He does not have his first needle until tomorrow so dont think it will be safe to take him in the garden. Can anyone advise me, thanks
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by adonia View Post
Hi i have had my Bishon Frise puppy for a few days and have been using puppy pads to train him. After reading some of the posts i think it may not be such a good idea. He does not have his first needle until tomorrow so dont think it will be safe to take him in the garden. Can anyone advise me, thanks
Hello Adonia,
I have never used puppy pads, but I imagine they are quite expensive. I do wonder what the point of them is because I assume that you will want your pup to "go" outside - hopefully sooner rather than later and I feel it is better to get the pup used to where you want him to "go" right from the start. I have always believed that a private garden is a safe enough area for an unvaccinated puppy, as long as it is not used by other dogs. So I would start taking him out into the garden asap and get him used to "going" out there, either on hard surfaces or grass (which my dogs use), but whichever is easiest for you. At the end of the day take advice from your vet who will know your area and the risk level around at that time. Good luck with your pup - it is a lovely time of year to start with a new puppy.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd also advise against them. I haven't used them for a pup myself but all I've seen is problems when people do use them. Fine for keeping your house clean, rubbish for house training. Start as you mean to carry on. I think training using puppy pads, then moving on to training outdoors must be very confusing for pups as you are basically teaching them one thing, then asking them to do something completely different. Is your garden private (as in are there any other users)? If it is and no other dogs have been there you'll be ok to take him out there.
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for speedy reply. I did think the puppy pads were a waste of time but was a little unsure as this is the first time i have owned a dog ( waiting for children to get a little older) Another problem i have is when he has an accident off the pad i con clean the area numerous times but he can still smell it. Is there a cleaning product i can get that will help. Thanks again.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
i used pads and wished i hadnt wouldnt use them again its double the work traiing them on the pad and to go outside.
iwas told to use bio washing podwer which breaks down something(sorry cant remeber lol) but im sure someone will be along to advise on the cleaning product
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I may be wrong but I was told not to clean with anything that contains bleach as the smell actually encourages the puppy to go there again
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by adonia View Post
Hi Adonia as long as your garden is not used by other dogs it is fine to take your puppy out there.

I really don't like puppy pads unless you live somewhere without a garden so have no alternative.

What you are trying to achieve is to get your puppy to relieve itself outside and not to soil inside the house, so the less times it soils inside the better.

You need to watch your puppy like a hawk for signs that it wishes to go out, sniffing the ground and circling is a good indication.

Small puppies like human babies have no control over their bodily functions. Until your puppy begins to get control at around 16 weeks you need take him out (and to stay with him) at times when he is most likely to want to relieve himself, that is first thing in the morning/last thing at night/ straight after food / after play/excitement/and about an hour after your puppy last went out.

Take some tibits out with you, little slivers of cheese or chicken are good for this and the very second after your puppy has relieved itself outside give it a tipbit and lots of praise. Your puppy should soon learn that going outside is rewarding

If he has completed his vaccination (and allowing for the period of time recommended by your vet when he should not go where other dogs have been) I would take him out for a short walk at the times listed above preferably to a place where other dogs have been , their scent and a little exercise will help to prompt him to relieve himself then reward/praise.

Until he I house tried best to keep him in one area with a cleanable floor like the kitchen and if he has an accident clean it up promptly without saying a word or making eye contact . Never ever tell him off or you will make him reluctant to relieve himself when you are there.

Throughly clean up any accidents with a non ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder to remove the scent and prevent the same area being used again.
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2010, 02:39 AM
I don't like the pads. I have seen too many problems when you try to transition to outside. If you have your own garden, go ahead and use it unless it is unfenced and frequented by dogs of unknown health.

Don't count on early vaccinations taking. they often don't. Even if they do, it is still a week or 2 before the puppy is safe.

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. See http://www.apdt.com/po/news/docs/Messer_Nov06.pdf
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2010, 10:33 AM
I have and am still using the odd puppy pad
We did all the house training from day one and never relied or encouraged him to use the puppy pads he only gets praised for going outside and it has worked very well.
I do however use them to cover our matt by the door for the odd accident that is bound to happen with pups.
We found he would always use the matt if we didnt get to him in time so we use them to protect it rather than training aid. I think we go through 1 to 2 a week now and i wouldnt use them on their own tho as it would be very confusing