Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Irresponsible

Now I am all for people exercising their dogs, and their right to roam across Scotland's wonderful countryside.

However, I was gobsmacked this afternoon. I had just taken Zak and Yogi for a mooch around in the small wood at the bottom of the track leading to my house, and had hidden a few balls and other articles for them to find.

We were heading back up the track home when I noticed three dogs dashing all over the hill behind my cottage. Eventually I saw two walkers meandering up the track, quite a distance behind their dogs and they clearly couldn't see where there dogs were or, in fact, what they might be up to

We have sheep on the second hill along from our cottage and that was where this couple were heading. As I said, I am a dog lover first and a shepherd's wife second most of the time, but something about the total lack of control, or perhaps even more so the total lack of interest, this couple were affording their dogs made me a bit uneasy.

The dogs really were racing at top speed all over the hills (and the Estate are shooting grouse today as well).

I mentioned it to hubby when I got in, and he drove up the track after the couple just to see whether their dogs were under proper control or not. When it was clear they weren't (one of the pointers wasn't even in sight when he pulled up, and the other two were ranging far away) he had a quiet, but friendly, word with the couple, and they were very apologetic, but didn't seem to understand what the problem might be

Hubby explained to them that even though they couldn't physically see any sheep, there were sheep on the tops of the hills, and as they also couldn't actually see their dogs most of the time, they didn't know what on earth they were up to.

Hopefully this quiet word may prevent this couple and their dogs from getting themselves into worse trouble in the future.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Your husband sounds like a very nice man ... mine, were he a farmer, would not have been nearly so polite.

They were probably very nice people, just ignorant. Not a crime in itself, but you do wonder sometimes! Glad all was well that ended well. I had a german shorthaired pointer who was a very definite sheep worrier - don't know if the dog you mentioned was a GSP, GWP or an english pointer, but any dog can be a sheep worrier.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:37 PM
He is a nice man - there are some shepherds on the neighbouring estates who would have given this poor unsuspecting couple an absolute mouthful! Thankfully my OH is a diplomatic man.

I think they were nice people, just totally ignorant of country life and the trouble they and their dogs could potentially get into.

They had two GSPs and a white boxer type dog.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Wow im impressed with hubby, i hope they realised their dogs can be shot for worrying sheep? Glen is already moaning at the dog walking brigade insisting on walking right through shoots.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Wow im impressed with hubby, i hope they realised their dogs can be shot for worrying sheep? Glen is already moaning at the dog walking brigade insisting on walking right through shoots.
He also mentioned that to them, and even though he doesn't have a gun, it is completely feasible that one of the keepers would shoot a dog worrying sheep on the estate.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:49 PM
It's a sad fact of life that there are some dreadful idiots out there.
People can be so odd in their thinking where their dogs are concerned. I have a friend who lives back of beyond, hates field sports with a passion. Yet, her dog, who just last year caught and killed a fawn, is never walked on a lead on the hill, the dog regularly takes off getting up to who knows what, I just don't understand that sort of thinking
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Glen is already moaning at the dog walking brigade insisting on walking right through shoots.
I sometimes read a walking magazine that my friend buys, their attitude to shoots is appalling, almost as if nobody but walkers have a right to be on the hills at all.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
People can be so odd in their thinking where their dogs are concerned. I have a friend who lives back of beyond, hates field sports with a passion. Yet, her dog, who just last year caught and killed a fawn, is never walked on a lead on the hill, the dog regularly takes off getting up to who knows what, I just don't understand that sort of thinking
Yes, that makes little sense, but then sense (as SB often says) is not all that common.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh and I just remembered the reason for relaying the fact I had hidden articles for the dogs to find in the wood, was that Zak indicated on a dead barn owl So sad. I love watching the owls flying around at dusk. The poor thing did look/feel incredibly thin
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Out of sight, out of mind I guess? I am definately way, way, way the other way, I can barely bring myself to let my dogs off-lead anywhere because I like to know where they are and what they're doing. I'm probably a bit too extreme, but I do provide alternative forms of exercise, like running with the dogs, and they have a large garden to play in (100'). I see people who let their dog roam hundreds of yards away or disappear out of sight and I really couldn't cope with that myself, I'd be straight in the overgrowth getting stung and ripped to shreds just to make sure I could see what my dogs were up to I know my dogs would likely give a good chase and potentially kill any wildlife they caught though, and not only that but Kiki would get so caught up in a chase I could easily imagine her running infront of a speeding car oblivious to anything but the rabbit/squirrel/deer and I would never forgive myself for causing the injury or death of a human being in that situation. So leads, longlines and whatever secure parks/fields we can hunt out, that's what I'm sticking to (and maybe next time a breed with a much lower prey drive )
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >