Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2013, 07:58 PM

My B-Day Suprise- A Horse

Yesterday was my b-day and my sly niece and her crew gave me a suprise four legged gift. They've had this little girl about a year now, she's a three year old mustang who up until a year ago was never handled. They never told me where they got her but she is pretty good about being handled now. I named her Amazon, after the rainforest because so much of it is still unexplored and untamed by man. In order to prevent me from telling them I had no interest in the mare my niece told me that Amazon is Renegade's replacement. My other mare is blind and Renegade,whose 21 years old, is her eyes. So I guess it does make sense but this horse is still mostly wild. She will not allow you to approach her, she has to approach you. My niece told me that its better then when they got her. Amazon also hates to have her ears forward, she always pins them back at everything. It'll be sometime before I even think about starting to train her for riding. Hopefully I'll have a halfway decent picture soon.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Happy Birthday, and can't wait to see Amazon
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't know why it says moved near the thread title but I thought it belonged here because it is non-dog related.
Here she is, a picture from yesterday with her classic pinned back ears:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-08-2013, 08:56 PM
She's just worried thats all, once she gets settled in and bonds with the other 2 she will feel better in herself, relax, and those ears will come forward
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I manged to get her to come over to me yesterday and I worked with her a bit. Yes we live in Big Sky country but there are trees on my property. And yes the bit is a bit loose in her mouth but I'm just getting her used to having it in her mouth and I'm going to gradually tighten it. Also I have to say...her ears are forward.

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2013, 06:04 PM
gosh that's some progress you've made she's a lot more relaxed already isn't she.
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Does that count her freak out moment when I put the halter on her?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Well she's bound to freak, everytime she's had anything to do with people something bad has happened, so can you blame her.
She must trust you already to have let you put a bridle on her. If she didn't want to let you, well then you would be lying in the dirt!!!
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 08:27 PM
It took me an three hours to get it on her. An hour of letting her smell it, hear the bit jingling, me giving her treats when she let me touch her head etc. I was letting her tell me she was ready granted I was wearing a helmet and a safety vest. Then it took me an hour to get it off from her because she didn't want me near her head. Oh well, slow and steady wins the race.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2013, 08:28 PM
You're so right, no short cuts with animals, otherwise you end up with big problems further on that you can't solve
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >