Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Gift ideas for daughter's 18th?

Please don't say a tattoo

I'm really stuck, we've done the jewellery pandora bracelet thing for her 16th - she doesn't wear it any more!
She's got a car & insurance money sorted - just needs to pass her test.
I'm really stuck -something which is a keepsake would be nice but what?
She did mention she would like to do a skydive, but although sky dive is about £250 - if you want a dvd, it's an additional £250 & there's no point doing it without getting the dvd is there! & it just seems a lot of money for a one day experience which lasts a few minutes!

Only other thing I could think of is a photoshoot, a bit unoriginal though......... stuck for ideas??
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Actually i bet she'd love the photoshoot, i went to one with my sister in law, New Id studios up in London, it was great.

Had hair cut and styled, facial and make up and some photos taken, they are nice to keep for posterity, although now i look at them and just think how much i've aged lol !

What about a day at a spa ? The Sanctuary in Convent Garden does a day package ? or one thats local to you maybe ?

Or a hot air balloon trip, my aunt went and said it was fantastic !

Has she got any hobbies or interests ?
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Actually i bet she'd love the photoshoot, i went to one with my sister in law, New Id studios up in London, it was great.

Had hair cut and styled, facial and make up and some photos taken, they are nice to keep for posterity, although now i look at them and just think how much i've aged lol !

Has she got any hobbies or interests ?
She has done a bit of modelling so I'm not sure the photoshoot would be that interesting to her!
The only hobbies/interests I know of are her boyfriend, getting wasted on a Friday night & tattoos!

I also thought maybe a shopping trip in London & an overnight at a spa hotel - I'd like that but not sure if she would she went to London recently & came back with a pair of Jimmy Choos, decided she didn't like them & gave them to me!!They don't even fit me but I keep trying to squash my feet in & stroke box occasionally. She is so flippant!!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
She has done a bit of modelling so I'm not sure the photoshoot would be that interesting to her!
The only hobbies/interests I know of are her boyfriend, getting wasted on a Friday night & tattoos!

I also thought maybe a shopping trip in London & an overnight at a spa hotel - I'd like that but not sure if she would she went to London recently & came back with a pair of Jimmy Choos, decided she didn't like them & gave them to me!!They don't even fit me but I keep trying to squash my feet in & stroke box occasionally. She is so flippant!!
I went and had the photos done about 5 years ago so i wasn't that young when i had t.hem done so i enjoyed a bit of pampering. I modelled when i was younger too and i can see what you are saying from that perspective.

The shopping trip and spa sounds good. My other sister in law has her birthday next month and we are all going to Claridges for afternoon tea what about something like that or maybe thats a bit tame for an 18 year old lol

Is she into music ? what about a concert ? paintballing ...lol
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Please don't say a tattoo
You ruined what I was going to say!!!

You could always get her to have a surprise tattoo - thats says "mum knows best" but she won't know about it til it's done

Urm 18th - my parents paid for a meal for 18 - friends and family, they got my older sister a stripper (he was actually her BF though so it doesn't count) but they did throw her a huge party at a local hall - I didn't get that!

I'm 19 I should be able to help you here and I can't think - I suppose I'm different to your daughter though..

Susie - can I have the spa trip with you - that sounds like a fantastic 18th birthday present..

I suppose you could always take her on her first night down town? Unless she's already been?

Indoor sky diving - the thing where she's on a giant fan - I don't know what it's called...
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:42 PM
If you get over a certain amount of sponsorship (£200 i think) you can get a sky dive cheaper at some places
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I went and had the photos done about 5 years ago so i wasn't that young when i had t.hem done so i enjoyed a bit of pampering. I modelled when i was younger too and i can see what you are saying from that perspective.

The shopping trip and spa sounds good. My other sister in law has her birthday next month and we are all going to Claridges for afternoon tea what about something like that or maybe thats a bit tame for an 18 year old lol

Is she into music ? what about a concert ? paintballing ...lol
Thanks for the ideas - I think she's planning on going to Amsterdam for a short break with her friends so I'd quite like to do something with just me & her & so I am edging towards posh shopping in London with or without staying over (it's only 45 mins on the train)
Maybe something from Tiffany's or a posh handbag - then we defo won't be staying over, I'll be broke!! Won't go to Harrods - she'll be wanting to come out with a handbag puppy & we'd end up fighting in the street

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
You ruined what I was going to say!!!

You could always get her to have a surprise tattoo - thats says "mum knows best" but she won't know about it til it's done

Urm 18th - my parents paid for a meal for 18 - friends and family, they got my older sister a stripper (he was actually her BF though so it doesn't count) but they did throw her a huge party at a local hall - I didn't get that!

I'm 19 I should be able to help you here and I can't think - I suppose I'm different to your daughter though..

Susie - can I have the spa trip with you - that sounds like a fantastic 18th birthday present..

I suppose you could always take her on her first night down town? Unless she's already been?

Indoor sky diving - the thing where she's on a giant fan - I don't know what it's called...
hmm yes we won't talk about tattoos!!
I can't think of anything I'd rather not do than go out with her & her friends Although she is one of the oldest so they won't be old enough to get into clubs, I have told her I would go with her & my 2 son's for some legal drinks - trouble is my boys ply me with shots & get me plastered & then laugh at their sozzled muvva

Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
If you get over a certain amount of sponsorship (£200 i think) you can get a sky dive cheaper at some places

Yes I looked at that on some of the sites - wouldn't really be a gift then though would it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 08:53 PM
hmm yes we won't talk about tattoos!!
I can't think of anything I'd rather not do than go out with her & her friends Although she is one of the oldest so they won't be old enough to get into clubs, I have told her I would go with her & my 2 son's for some legal drinks - trouble is my boys ply me with shots & get me plastered & then laugh at their sozzled muvva

I only saw my mum drunk once - my Nan and Granddad's 60th wedding anniversary - her and my older sister were shouting out random numbers in the taxi on the way home - we had to drag the pair of them upstairs and my Dad just shook his head at my mum.

I say go for it - just drink loads of water..I couldn't imagine going out with my Mum - then again she is 36 years older than me...

I don't know what else to suggest...
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
For both my 18th and 21st there was nothing I really wanted, so my Mum took me on a luxury holiday instead! Loved it, got pics, and of course the memories
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 09:34 PM
My grandparents got me a beautiful leather jewellery box for my 18th, it's huge enough so it fits pretty much all my jewellery in it and I'm 26 now and still absolutely love it and use it every day. It's one of those things I would save in a fire I love it that much!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >