Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2007, 06:56 PM

Is it true..? (new question @ post 14)

1) Is it true that female dogs are typically less dominant than males?

2) Is it true that if you don't get your male neutered early enough they will more often have marking issues (lifting their leg on everything) then if they are neutered at an early enough age?

3) Is it true that if you don't get your German Shepherd from a good breeder they could more likely have agression problems? Should be very careful of this?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
1. No Alpha bitches often occur I've had at least two

2.No, my dogs don't mark indoors because they are never allowed to & not because they have been neutered(which they haven't as i don't routinely castrate male dogs)

3.All GSDs should be bred equally for character & health whether they are bred by a show keenels, working kennels or hobby breeder. Badly bred & reared dogs of any breed can have temperament problems
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi,
My female is a very dominant girl,she has been since we brought her home at 8 weeks but is a brilliant dog & a pleasure to own
My male has never marked in the house, he was neutered for different reasons, my dads male isnt but he doesnt mark everywhere either.
I dont have any knowlegde of Gsd so cant comment on that,

sarah
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 12:58 PM
1. In my experience females are more dominant than the males and are usually the 'top dog' of the house.

2. I have 4 males - none of which have been neutered and not one of them 'marks' in the house - or constantly lift their legs everywhere.

3. I don't have experience on GSD's but would say that you should be careful where you get any dog from and that you should choose a good breeder which will have undertaken health tests as well as breeding for good temperament.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
1. No Alpha bitches often occur I've had at least two

2.No, my dogs don't mark indoors because they are never allowed to & not because they have been neutered(which they haven't as i don't routinely castrate male dogs)

3.All GSDs should be bred equally for character & health whether they are bred by a show keenels, working kennels or hobby breeder. Badly bred & reared dogs of any breed can have temperament problems
Agree with this post completely

Alpha Bitches can be just as likely, and as with women, hormones can also play a part in their dominance too.

Marking indoors in Males could happen regardless of being done, again depends on their place in the house and training.

All GSD's should be bred for quality which includes temperament, hence why they should only be bought from reputable breeders, the same as any other breed.

CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 02:35 PM
1, The most dominant dog I've ever had was a female

2, I've had male dogs that have been neutered at different ages, not by my choice, just being rescue dogs, and none of them have ever marked.

3, I can't comment of GSD, but I would think that all good breeders breed for temperment as well as health, but it's something I don't know much about as all bar one of my dogs has been a rescue

Hope this helps
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2007, 07:29 PM
All the female dogs I have had have always been top dog in the house.

My Harvey is not neutered but he never marks in the house, although we have to stop every 20 yards up our road so he can cock his leg while on our walk.

I wouldn't know about GSD but I would assume it would be the same for any puppy you bought, always buy from a reputable breeder and make sure you meet the parents.

Sarah
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I can only talk about my dobes, but Ruby is the boss of my lot. One bark or growl from her is enough to shut the rest up.

Neither of my males (both are castrated) have ever marked in the house, but they do have their own mini competition in the garden and around the park.

Personally I think any badly bred dog (regardless of the breed) could have a bad temper, but you also need to make sure that the aggression is not due to an illness.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2007, 07:55 PM
The top dog in our house is male, but females can be equally dominant.
I have 3 males, none of which mark indoors, nor have any of my previous male dogs either entire or neutered.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-11-2007, 10:10 PM
1.In my experience and in my main breed the one and only bitch I ever had was much more dominant than any of the three males I have owned in this breed.

2. I have two unneutered males and they do not mark in the house.

3. No matter which breed you should always research properly and make sure you see at least one if not both parents, and chose a breeder who health checks (and if going for a GSD make sure hip scores are part of this check)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >