Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:48 AM

Northern Inuit - Vienna

Sue i borrowed the breed standard off your website - hope that was ok!

Northern Inuit Standard

GENERAL APPEARANCE: A dog of medium build, athletic but not racy. Slightly longer than tall (as 10 – 9), with leg length slightly longer than overall depth of body. Oval bone is neither too heavy nor too light.

HEAD: Not too broad, skull slightly domed. Muzzle slightly longer than skull, strong and gently tapering. Lips close fitting and always black. Cheeks flat. Nose black (winter noses acceptable) and nostrils large. Teeth should have a scissor bite

EYES: Oval, forward facing and set at a slightly oblique angle. Any colour or colour combination permitted.

EARS: Set fairly high, not too large and carried erect.

NECK: Strong and muscular with a well-defined nape.

SHOULDERS: Moderately sloping. Elbows fitting close to chest, which must not be too broad.

BODY: Topline level, ribs well back. Loin short and deep with no exaggerated tuck up. Croup broad and fairly short but not steep. Tail set fairly high and reaching to the hock, carried down when standing, may be lifted when excited. Curly tails considered a fault. Good rear angulation. Short hocks.

HIND FEET: Oval, may have five toes, dewclaws permitted.

FORE FEET: Round, pasterns upright but flexible. Pads black and well cushioned with hair.

COAT: Dense double coat, slightly harsh in texture, heavy coats permitted but long, flowing, silky coats considered a fault. Well defined ruff and breaches. Tail bushy.

GAIT: Easy and far reaching covers the ground.

SIZE: Bitches 22 inches min., dogs 24 inches min. – overall balance more important than size.

COLOUR: Pure white or any shade of grey and sable through to pure black. White faces and dark masks are permitted but any colour change should be subtle.

TEMPERAMENT: Friendly and placid, never aggressive or showing any guarding tendencies. Will submit when challenged.

FAULTS: Gay tails, long soft/silky coats, patchy/pinto or black and tan colours.

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree.

I will tell you right now she doesnt have all black pads - some are pink so there is fault number one! Thought i should put that in cos there is no way you could spot that from the photos

Hope you can see whatever you need to fom these photos!

I look forward to all your comments!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Please remember I'm basing this solely on the breed standard as I interpret it and your pictures. I've never even met an NI in the flesh!
Head to skull ratio appears correct and good pigmentation all round. Ears are larger than desireable although not excessively so, eyes appear to be more round than oval but still a pleasing expression.
Shoulders appear to be as per bred standard and elbows close to chest, good topline, tail set not very high but tail carried well. Loin possibly a bit long but nice and deep.
Feet could be more compact, particularly the front ones which should be more rounded.
Colour good.
Smart puppy!
Becky
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks Becky - yes she does have long toes!

To anyone else who wants to comment on her but is holding back because they think it might cause another NI argument - please dont! I love my girl for who she is and yes of course i think she is beautiful but i know she is by no means perfect! Im interested in your thoughts on her against the current breed standard thats all. I dont know much about showing or the terms used etc but i'd like to learn more so i think starting with the faults of my own dog is a good place to start!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Actually looks a very nice bitch!

A bit too "Husky" for me, but has balance and pleases the eye in the fist pic. Topline I think is level, picture shows dog standing with hind legs underneath it, which deters from the actual body shape. Appears to have adequate reach and drive on the last pic, but difficult to assess without seeing the dog in profile.

I agree the ears maybe slightly large but dont look out of place. Has the correct "ruff" and "knickers" Im certainly no expert, but I do like this dog.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Thank you Borderdawn. I agree she is a bit on the husky looking side but i think that is partly due to her colouring. I havent 'stood' her in the first picture she is just standing naturally. She does have a long reach (about 5'2 lol) when she is standing with her paws on my shoulders!

Really glad you like her <smiles proudly!>
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:04 AM

Heres Kain for a comparison, hope you don't mind Janie, please feel free to comment as you have Vienna...

Its really hard to get decent pics of Kain he is'nt a poser like Inka lol.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi hun.. it`s Kris that has Vienna.. mine are Freya & Noah.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Sorry sorry sorry !( slapping myself on the forehead right now ) duh !
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi Inki, put kain in a thread of his own if you want a critique please.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hi Inki, put kain in a thread of his own if you want a critique please.
Never thought of that
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >