Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 07:41 PM

critique my boxers

The head is the most distinctive feature of the Boxer. The breed standard dictates that it must be in perfect proportion to the body and above all it must never be too light.[11] The greatest value is to be placed on the muzzle being of correct form and in absolute proportion to the skull. The length of the muzzle to the whole of the head should be a ratio of 1:3. Folds are always present from the root of the nose running downwards on both sides of the muzzle, and the tip of the nose should lie somewhat higher than the root of the muzzle. In addition a Boxer should be slightly prognathous, i.e., the lower jaw should protrude beyond the upper jaw and bend slightly upwards in what is commonly called an underbite or "undershot bite".[12]

Boxers were originally a docked and cropped breed, and this tradition is still maintained in some countries. However, due to pressure from veterinary associations, animal rights groups and the general public, both cropping of the ears and docking of the tail have been prohibited in many countries around the world. In the United States and Canada as of 2008, cropped ears are still more common in show dogs. In March 2005 the AKC breed standard was changed to include a description of the uncropped ear, but to severely penalize an undocked tail.

An adult Boxer typically weighs between 55 and 70 lbs (25 and 32 kg). Adult male Boxers are between 22 and 25 inches (57 and 63 cm) tall at the withers; adult females are between 21 to 23½ inches (53 and 60 cm).

[edit] Coat and colors

Boxers are either fawn (middle frame) or brindle (bottom frame), with or without white markings, which, when excessive are conventionally called "white" Boxers (top frame).The Boxer is a short-haired breed, with a shiny, smooth coat that lies tight to the body. The recognized colors are fawn and brindle, often with a white underbelly and white on the front or all four feet. These white markings, called flash, often extend onto the neck or face, and dogs that have these markings are known as "flashy". "Fawn" denotes a range of color, the tones of which may be described variously as light tan or yellow, reddish tan, mahogany or stag/deer red, and dark honey-blonde. In the UK, fawn Boxers are typically rich in color and are called "red". "Brindle" refers to a dog with black stripes on a fawn background. Some brindle Boxers are so heavily striped that they give the appearance of "reverse brindling", fawn stripes on a black body; these dogs are conventionally called "reverse brindles", but that is actually a misnomer - they are still fawn dogs with black stripes. In addition, the breed standards state that the fawn background must clearly contrast with or show through the brindling, so a dog that is too heavily brindled may be disqualified by the breed standard. The Boxer does not carry the gene for a solid black coat color and therefore purebred black Boxers do not exist.

[edit] White Boxers
Boxers with white markings covering more than one-third of their coat - conventionally called "white" Boxers - are neither albino nor rare; approximately 20-25% of all Boxers born are white.[13] Genetically, these dogs are either fawn or brindle, with excessive white markings overlying the base coat color. Like fair-skinned humans, white Boxers have a higher risk of sunburn and associated skin cancers than colored Boxers. The extreme piebald gene, which is responsible for white markings in Boxers, is linked to congenital sensorineural deafness in dogs. It is estimated that about 18% of white Boxers are deaf in one or both ears,[14] though Boxer Rescue organizations see about double that number.[15][16] In the past, breeders often euthanized white puppies at birth; today, most breeders place white puppies in pet homes with spay/neuter agreements. White Boxers are disqualified from conformation showing by the breed standard, and are prohibited from breeding by every national Boxer club in the world. They can compete in non-conformation events such as obedience and agility, and like their colored counterparts do quite well as service and therapy dogs.

[edit] Temperament
“ The character of the Boxer is of the greatest importance and demands the most solicitous attention. He is renowned from olden times for his great love and faithfulness to his master and household. He is harmless in the family, but distrustful of strangers, bright and friendly of temperament at play, but brave and determined when aroused. His intelligence and willing tractability, his modesty and cleanliness make him a highly desirable family dog and cheerful companion. He is the soul of honesty and loyalty, and is never false or treacherous even in his old age.
~ 1938 AKC Boxer breed standard [17] ”

Boxers are a bright, energetic and playful breed and tend to be very good with children. They are active dogs and require adequate exercise to prevent boredom-associated behaviors such as chewing or digging. Boxers have earned a slight reputation of being "headstrong", which can be related to inappropriate obedience training. Owing to their intelligence and working breed characteristics, training based on corrections often has limited usefulness. Boxers often respond much better to positive reinforcement techniques such as clicker training, which affords the dog an opportunity to think independently and to problem-solve.

The Boxer by nature is not an aggressive or vicious breed, but it does need socialization. [18] Boxers are generally patient with smaller dogs and puppies, but issues with larger adult dogs, especially those of the same sex, may occur. Boxers are generally more comfortable with companionship, in either human or canine form.

[edit] Health
See also: Dog health
Boxers are prone to develop cancers, heart conditions such

First is Skye

Please be kind
No seriously be honest in what you think ,I know there not great pics , But im new to this showing thing , I have only done a few companion shows
Next is Beau (ignore the big tongue )
xxdk
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Nice dog's DK but then I'm biased.lol.xxxxxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Nice dog's DK but then I'm biased.lol.xxxxxx

Me too
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Jackie I would not dare, have found on may occasion how wrong you can be ring side judging I am sure it would be worse from a photo. The only comment I would offer on your dogs and the others on this thread is that they all have type.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Jackie I would not dare, have found on may occasion how wrong you can be ring side judging I am sure it would be worse from a photo. The only comment I would offer on your dogs and the others on this thread is that they all have type.
Thanks for your reply hun, Its appreciated The pics aint great im afraid xxdk
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2008, 01:04 PM
They are two sweeties
But honestly ...
I think Skye has the nicest head, very expressive with wrinkles... and nice muscle in her body,
Although Beau has a nice stance...i dont think as nice a head, I prefer Skye.......Im bias too, luurve Boxers
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by horses01466 View Post
They are two sweeties
But honestly ...
I think Skye has the nicest head, very expressive with wrinkles... and nice muscle in her body,
Although Beau has a nice stance...i dont think as nice a head, I prefer Skye.......Im bias too, luurve Boxers
I have to agree Skye has got a much better head than Beau ,And Skye has a better build than Beau , Beau seems more finer made up than Skye , But I hope in time that Beau will fill out as she is still yuoung xxdk
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Awwww two lovely girls,Beau just needs to mature a wee bit,by that I mean fill out a bit.Wheres Lady?xxxxxxx
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 07:54 PM
They are perfect in every way great pics DK xx

Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Trixy View Post
They are perfect in every way great pics DK xx

Ditto, gorgeous babes you have