Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 06:18 PM

puppy biting self!?

hi all. indie keeps biting herself. shes been doing this pretty much ever since i got her at 6wks old. she bites her back legs, tail, feet inside legs near tummy. I have taken her to vet and they say nothin is wrong? She has no bald bits and she isnt in pain or anythin?
She is biting herself really hard.
Sometimes i think shed bored? but she does it when playin sometimes too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi Jenny you are having a busy time You say bite more than lick ? this is more a sign of a flea or irritation of some kind..is she flea treated and can you see flea dirt..tiny black specs...you may never see a flea they only jump on a dog to feed then off again?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 06:34 PM
heya. yeh, she is biting, sometimes she licks and i dont worry, but most of the time she is biting, if i put my hand there she is biting full on. she has been flea treated and i have checked her over for fleas. doesnt seem thats the problem!

I am probably just a worried owner!! i worry about everything with her!!!
Meg
Supervisor

25-07-2004, 06:41 PM
..Jenny does she have toys? When she bites herself don't scold her but distract her with a game or toy,she is a Staffie isn't she? Maybe Staffie people will know if there is an allergy problem specific to the breed?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-07-2004, 08:12 PM
I agree with Mini try giving her toys to distract her. Do you ever bath her? Maybe shes sensitive to the shampoo?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 09:04 PM
hi yeh, she has hundreds of toys. normally i distact her with toys. but she will still do it other times. Also, i dont bath her much as was told not to? and when i do, i havent used shampoo on her yet as not sure wot to use on puppy?
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 05:12 AM
It might be her food causing her to itch, or she could have anxiety. My husband's dog had anxiety when we got him. It was the strangest thing, he used to bite his hair off from the waist down, and it looked like we had him professionally trimmed. From his waist down his hair was about a half inch shorter, and all even. Then he stopped doing that and went to chewing every single hair off his stomach as if it were shaved with a razor. VERY WEIRD!!! Still he keeps a bald stomach, but he doesn't chew anything else. I had tried switching his food, but that never did any good. The vet suggested anxiety, and we tended to believe that because he used to have horrible separation anxiety.

Good luck. Hopefully it's just the food causing him to itch.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

26-07-2004, 05:50 AM
It could very well be the food that is causing her to itch. What is she fed? Also, what material do you have in her bed? Some fabrics will cause itching. What is her coat like? Nice & thick & shiny, or dull and sparse? Has your vet taken skin scrapes? Do you notice that it is worse at certain times, e.g. when she has been on grass, when she is hot, after she has been left alone, etc.?

If you bath her get a special shampoo for itchy skin from the vet.

It is a misery for dogs to be constantly itchy so I hope you can track down the cause. Perhaps you should consider consulting a different vet.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Do you own cats?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 07:13 AM
There is a skin condition very common in staffies as my first bitch had it. Can't remeber what it's called thouhg, I'll check it out for u. Try giving her a bath with just warm water to start then after a while start using baby shampoo.

Do u use carpet freshner? If u do that might irritate her. Unfortunately, if it is an allergy it could take sometime to find out what she has an allergy to. It could be her food or it could be something completely different.

Hope things get better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >