View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Maybe like Clarence said you can use a treat, or if you're really motivated, you can lay a trail of treats, and perhaps do some hobby scenting work with her as well as motivating her to walk Good luck, she'll come around don't worry
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2004, 06:14 AM
If she finds traffic alarming then take her somewhere quiet where she can see traffic passing but is far enough away for it not to be scary and just sit there with her. You can decrease the distance from the 'monsters' gradually as her confidence builds.

My advice mirrors Mini's. Drive her to a park or somewhere very quiet. If she refuses to walk snap a long line onto her collar, walk away from her & sit down & wait her out. I doubt it will take long before she is coming towards you. When she is with you gather up the line and start walking, praising as you go. If she stops repeat as above. This has the added advantage that you can begin to train recall at the same time. When she is just a few steps away from you call 'come' and praise & reward profusely when she gets to you.

Do not drag her on the lead as she will then develop negative assosiations with it. Do not pick her up or fuss her when she stops as this is rewarding & reinforcing the behaviour.

I doubt if this problem will be long-lasting. You will probably look back at this period of "I don't want to walk" with nostalgia when you are trudging along on a cold, wet, winter day with a very eager dog on the end of the lead
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 01:26 PM
hi guys. she was fine on her walk this morning
there were lotsof people to meet ... who actually wanted to say hello.. usually people jus walk past and she wonders why.

glad shes walkin tho, i was worried for a bit since she did it twice in a row for no reason.
Will see how she goes on her walk tonight. Thanks for all the advice
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2004, 07:48 AM
There was a puppy Border Collie at the school last week... which me and a friend were making a fuss of, and she said a few days before it wouldn't budge from the house... only because of the attention its getting, the dog loves going for walks now.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Kirsty I bet the BC puppy was sweet..good training for it too

Jenny Glad things are better with the walking Perhaps after the 'little hiccup' you were being hesitant... your puppy would pick that up from you Hope all continues to go well, enjoy your puppy, they don't stay puppies for long
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2