Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 04:35 PM

puppy refusing to walk?

Hi all, i have a now 14 week old staffordshire bull terrier called indie. The problem i have is, the last two times ive taken her for a walk, she just refused to budge. Like, she'd get all excited and practically leap out the door, but two minutes down the road, shed just stop and refuse to go anywhere. It didnt matter which direction i tried to move her in, she didnt wanna know. Shes never done tis b4, but the last two times she has. Ive ended up carrying her home cos she either just stops or she'll go haywire and start bucking about trying to get free. Ive been taking her on walks for a week now as her injections have only just finished then. I usually take her for a 15-20 minute walk twice a day, sometimes its enough and sometimes she would go more. But this is like the first 2 minutes, so its not like shes tired? And she was really hyper when we left.

Any help would be much aprpeciated! Perhaps its the hot weather? Cos she didnt occasionaly head for shade and lie down.
but 2 minutes in is strange.

Jenny & Indie
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Puppies do sometimes hit a sort of fear stage, it is usually sometime between 12 and 16 weeks if it is going to happen at all. When you turn to walk towards home is she better then and keen to get back in?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 05:35 PM
no she doesnt even want to go home. its strange, cos she usualyl enjoys her walks loads. she just doesnt want to budge. And i feel stupid trying to drag her around on her walk when shes blatently refusing. i try coaching her along a bit, but she may like walk about a metre and then stop again
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-07-2004, 05:47 PM
I'd carry her on the walk for a few days, constantly reassuring her, perhaps you could also 'drive' her to the park or somewhere where it's a bit more relaxed and 'quiet' and lsowy build her confidence that way? It seems to me something is scaring her?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 05:50 PM
hmm.. well the cars scare her loads, but once they go past she tries to chase them.lol. maybe i will try take her somewhere quiet tomorrow and see how she goes. we took her to the pub today for a run around the field with the other dogs. and she was fine. ut again, on her walk, she wouldnt budge.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by jenny6165
no she doesnt even want to go home. its strange, cos she usualyl enjoys her walks loads. she just doesnt want to budge. And i feel stupid trying to drag her around on her walk when shes blatently refusing. i try coaching her along a bit, but she may like walk about a metre and then stop again
Hi Jenny I think your pup has learnt that if she stops you pick her up or pay lots of attention to her Try this..walk on..when she stops or starts to play you stop and ignore her, look the other way, don't speak to her.. wait a couple of moments then walk on again, the moment she walks praise 'good girl ' in a cheery confident voice give a tipbit if you like but keep walking. Repeat this process when she walks praise when she stops ignore. It takes time and you have to be patient but this method worked for me with many puppies Your puppy will learn when she stops
you ignore her when she walks she gets your approval. There are other ways to train with treats and clicker training and Shadow Boxer will I guess be along later with her expertise and good advice, until then you might like to try this simple method Remember be firm but gentle...good luck

Ps. As Azz sugested try this in a quiet place like a park.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Try walking her in your own garden and see if that is ok, it will just eliminate the unlikely chance that the equipments your are using is causing pain or that she has some sort or injury.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Yeah I never thought of that, that her Collar/lead could be a problem, is it too tight? What kind of lead are u using?

I think the cars are also a problem for her, u must take your time with her and build her confidence up slowy. Drive her to quiet parks and walks for a good few weeks then slowy start her on the roads again. JMO
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 09:05 PM
thanks for ur help guys. will try those things and let u know what happens.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Have you tried coaxing her on with a treat ?
I have a Staffy pup near enough the same age and shes fine but my eldest Staffy used to sit down and refuse to budge at the same age.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >