Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Getting More American By The Day!!

Was talking to my sister about my niece Danielle. She is leaving Sixth Form this year and they are having a huge Prom-style party to celebrate.

All the girls buy fancy Prom-dresses (some have spent over £300!!!! I am 37 and wouldn't spend that on myself, my bloomin' wedding dress wasn't that much!!! ), they are going to the salon to get spray-tans, hair done etc. The boys all wear a tux and they get crosages for the girls and have button-holes to match! Some of them are clubbing together to hire a Limo to take them to the venue (a LIMO!! hell, I begrude paying for a flipping taxi when I go out!!!)- which incidentally is a posh hotel with a three-course dinner. They are only 18!!!!

I said flaming heck - when we left school we pelted each other with eggs and flour and water and wrote on each others school-blouses then went into town around the shops for a laugh and that was it. We still got told off at home for wasting a good shirt by writing on it!!!!!!!!!!

Like Colin said - how things have changed
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:20 PM
You must be the same age as me hun, that's what we done when we left, now the turn up in roll's etc to prom's.xx
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
we had a valedictory dinner when we finished high school,

i made my outfit!

Got a pattern for a fifties style skirt and made it longer in black cotton adn wore a pink gypsy style top from new look...

other girls just wore a nice dress and lads wore suits...

we had a three course meal and disco....but it wasnt a hotel and the school paid for our coach to take us there!

it was our school tradition for about 40 yrs!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Yes, it was eggs and flour for me as well.
You have got to feel sorry for the kids who can't afford the dress and the limo
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
You must be the same age as me hun, that's what we done when we left, now the turn up in roll's etc to prom's.xx
I know!!! I'm 37 BTW

Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
we had a valedictory dinner when we finished high school,

i made my outfit!

Got a pattern for a fifties style skirt and made it longer in black cotton adn wore a pink gypsy style top from new look...

other girls just wore a nice dress and lads wore suits...

we had a three course meal and disco....but it wasnt a hotel and the school paid for our coach to take us there!

it was our school tradition for about 40 yrs!
No way would she go on a coach!!! Heaven forbid!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
No way would she go on a coach!!! Heaven forbid!!!
there was no choice...private transport was banned and parents had to ring the school to get the address so they could keep it a surprise!

that way it was kept fair!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:35 PM
It was better that way At the risk of sounding ancient, they don't know they are born now!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:39 PM
We had "proms" during sixth form, but they were held at the school, attended by the teachers etc

We got dressed up, e.g. lads in tux's and girls in nice dresses, but we all hired or borrowed our dresses mostly...

It was a buffet and disco basically, in posh clothes!

A friends daughter has just been to hers, held at one of the poshest hotels in Blackpool, and they had limo's etc. They've spent a fortune on dresses etc, ridiculous!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
[quote=Anne-Marie;1366816]I know!!! I'm 37 BTW

Snap me too.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I know, when Christopher left, well the main streem part of school, he stayed on for 6th form, he went to a prom, we hired him a tux, and he was picked up by stretch limo, and they went to a hotel for a meal and dance.

My friends niece is about to go to hers, and I was seriously shocked to find the dress would be in excess of £300 and probably only worn the once

Back in the good old days, when I was a young girl
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >