Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie Keith
New Member!
Female 

18-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Daisy's epilepsy

Hi I'm Julie and I've just joined Dogsey. I have 2 beagles called Daisy who's 5 and Buster who's 7. Unfortunately Daisy has epilepsy and has just been put onto phenobarbitone and she is drinking excessively and urinating a lot. The vet seems to think this will disappear. Has anyone had this problem?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi there, and welcome. If you paste your questions in the health section you will get laods more replies. Plus we always like to see pics of the dogs....Glad to see you here.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Hope Daisy is ok. My sons Collie is on Phenobarbitone and is doing very well.

Julie Keith
New Member!
Female 

18-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Cute dog! I'm taking Daisy to the vets yet again to see what's causing her to drink so much
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi and welcome - I think my girl drank more when she was first on pheno - a note to ANYONE using this drug - never miss a blood test and also please ensure you are also giving milk thistle tablets otherwise the pheno WILL wreck your dogs liver and can end up being the cause of death.

I lost my girl 3 years ago to liver damage caused by the pheno - had I known about milk thistle I may still have her now - pm me if anyone needs more info

I love Beagles - any pics for us
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2007, 01:31 AM
My dog has been on pheno for a year and still drinks and urinates alot it just goes with the territory
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi - this is a common side effect with PB. The worst effects should disappear withing around 2 weeks of starting drug therapy but would reappear if the dosage were to be increased.

Do think about trying milk thistle as Muddiwarx recommended as PB can cause damage to the liver. Some studies have indicated that milk thistle can prevent, and in some cases reverse, liver damage.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

20-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Hello Julie and welcome to Dogsey! My dog has had epilepsy since January of this year. I have to give her 2 PhenoB's in the morning and 2 in the evening, along with a Potassium Bromide tablet in the morning. I give her Milk Thistle capsule in the mornings as I was advised to by Lucky Star, who has helped me no end. Muddiwarx has given you solid advice and I would also urge you to get Milk Thistle capsule, or you can get it in liquid form but I prefer the capsules, I get them from Holland and Barret. I wrap the capsule in a piece of meat, or banana.

Loki has always drunk a lot of water since she was a pup, therefore, she does pee a lot! However, I never noticed her being any different since being on the PBs etc.

I do sympathise with you - it is awful to see them fitting. I have received a lot of sound and great advice on here and on another forum, which I will always be grateful for.

I do hope your wee one will get the amount of phenob in her blood to keep her stabilized. I get Loki's blood tested very regularly - she got a good result from her blood test last month! No increase was needed in her PhenoBs, which was a good thing.

I also keep a diary of when she takes her fits.

Take care and hugs to you and the wee one
Julie Keith
New Member!
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi. Thanks for your message and I will keep my eye on the pheno and have blood tests. I will also get some milk thistle. I am new to all this and will send some pics when I work out how!
Julie Keith
New Member!
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for your reply and am taking Muddiwarx and Brandykins advice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >