Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Being Strict??

I was told that Im too scrict with my dogs. I dont let them do as they please when I have them out and I 'make' them behave and listen. I dont let them just crazily greet other people or dogs. I dont let them pull me on the lead and they (well my older doesnt half the time) wear Halties. If I tell them to sit or lay down and they dont do it them I 'push' them into the sit or down. During feeding time they are not allowed to be under my feet and must sit/lay patiently until called. They are only allowed on the couch or bed if called, they cant just go and sleep on the couch all day. But at the same time they get planty of time at the park off lead and plenty of play and stimulation. IMO Im just making them behave themselves. I dont think that Im 'strict'. Am I??
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 03:29 PM
You have to make the rules you are comfortable with. If this suits your situation with regards to your life then that is your choice. It doesn't sound like you are being overly strict at all, I think strict is where dogs have to obey people 100% of the time and don't have any 'me' time. Dogs do need to be dogs for at least part of everyday I think.
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Don't think your being strict. You have set the rules that work in your house and to be honest, rules that are safe for your dogs and others. A responsible owner with well behaved dogs by the sounds of it.
I'm told that i'm too soft on my dogs in the home but again I do what suits me and works for me. Dogs have their own sofa and they sleep on my bed of a night. I'm happy with that. Out in public they do what they are asked to do. They are cheeky and catch me out now and then. I'm never going to totally win with collies LOL. However my dogs are safe, under control and obedient (99.9% of the time)
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Errrrrr......... ditto wot Megan sed

Snorri
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks. Someone I work with said that Im mean to them cause I wouldnt let the puppy jump on him. He said what the dog cant say hi?? And its been bothering me ever since. I mean I know that jumping is not a good thing and its actually rather annoying but I geuss it sorta melted into other things with me. Thanks though guys
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2007, 04:02 PM
The thing I had to remember was that whilst a little Border Collie pup jumping up to say "hi!" is attractive, the impact of a 3-stone adult can be sore and not nearly so welcome! It's easier to prevent the habit from forming than it is to break it later!

Snorri
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I also agree with Megan57 - you sound like a responsible owner with very well-behaved dogs to me Firm but fair I find works with mine
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 04:03 PM
What that person didn't understand is that it's lovely to have a puppy jump on you, however it's not so nice when the puppy turns into a 70lb+ dog, covered in drool and mud/sand/water and still wants to jump on you...

You're not strict at all. Well, you are strict, but only in that you insist on good behaviour.

Is it too strict that human children have to sit at the table and behave when eating dinner? No, so why is strict when you make a dog behave that way?
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

21-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I wonder what the person at work would have said if it had been a full grown dog with muddy paws and a wet coat? - probably "You ought to keep your dog under proper control"

A well behaved and obedient dog is a pleasure to meet - keep up your training - but don't forget the praise and lots of love Kath
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I have been told by my own father that I am regimental with Biff, simply because I have told Biff to calm down when my dad has been in the house.

Biff is a strong, powerful dog, and if he was free to run wild when people are in the house, could cause someone some damage as he could easily knock an elderly or young person over when he gest excited. It is my responsibility to ensure that he is calm, other wise we'd never have any visitors, and I'd hate that to be the case just because my dad wants to make a big fuss of him when he comes around. I've told him so many times that he can make a fuss of Biff, but not for too long, or the very moment he comes through the door, as he needs time to calm down. After all, my dad has come to see me, not Biff.

I dont think you're being overly strict at all. Some dogs are very stubborn.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >