Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 10:45 PM

Crying puppy

I ended up getting a GORGEOUS 9 week old jack russell/shih tzu cross.
He is in his crate just now for bedtime (he had a crate at his other house so it isn't a new thing), and is crying/barking so much.
I don't want him to hurt/strain himself!!
But I won't go back down when he is making so much noise as I don't want him to think that him doing that makes me go to him.

It is just hard to sit and listen to!! lol
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
aw congratulations on your new family member.
Pictures ??

Have you put a blanket over his crate, I dont know about others but its worked well for us before, and they settle down.

But just remember 9weeks is a young age and through out the night the pup may well need to go out for the toilet.
Dont make a fuss then either, just take pup out let him do his stuff and back to bed!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 10:56 PM
No pictures yet - will get some soon!
Yeah there is a fleece over his crate.
I got him at about 8pm and put him into bed at about 11pm.
He hadn't gone to the toilet in this whole time - but he was so knackered at this point I thought I may aswell put him in the crate.

He has actually gone quite for now.

Should I go down and let him out and see if he goes to the toilet now? Or will that just disturb him again?

He kept just sitting down and crying when we brought him home poor wee thing. He perked up a bit after a couple of hours though.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Did you mean you brought him home from the breeder at
8pm tonight? If so that may be why you are having problems, im a strong believer that a pup needs to go to new home in the morning, so that it has the whole day to look around the house, get use to it and the new owners before being put to bed, in a place it doesnt know.
If thats the case he may be well be unsettled and confused, which is understandable he is a young pup.

If he has settled down i would leave him, if he carries on through out the next few hours then yes i would take him to the toilet
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah - the lady is over an hour away and dad could only take me after he finished work! I really wanted to get him in a morning aswell! He is still quiet now so I will leave him and see.
The crate is a "medium", and i know they like smaller spaces so was going to block part of it off - but what i did was i put his bed etc at one side, and some newspaper at the other, so he can "go" if he needs to (as he didnt do it with me), but its not in his bed area.

Hes been silent since the end of the first post now - so will leave him for now.

Thanks for replying so soon! I thought they would wimper a bit, not really cry so much!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Kammi it is normal for a puppy to cry.
I always take a new puppy upstairs at night and have it next to my bed in a box. It goes to sleep quite quickly in the dark and the sound of a human breathing is very comforting for a vulnerable puppy which has just left the security of its dam and littermates . It is common sense really isn't it that a small animal will feel extremely vulnerable when separated from the protection of its dam and some will actual cry out in the hope that 'protection' will arrive.

The puppy will wake and cry if it needs to go out and can be quickly taken out and returned to the box to sleep so no messy kitchens or prolonged crying.

Having the puppy with you also helps with the bonding process and gives the puppy chance to gain a little confidence before being left alone for a long period like all night. I find puppies which are not forced to be alone straight after leaving the dam don't have problems with separation, this is probably because they haven't had the chance to become fearful of being left alone so don't associate being alone with the feeling of fear.

I gradually get the puppy used to being left alone for short periods during the day usually after a meal and a play when it is ready to sleep and is relaxed.
Once the puppy has gained a little confidence and has gradually got used to being left it can be moved to the kitchen if necessary.

I appreciate for various reasons not everyone will choose to have a puppy with them overnight but I have always trained puppies this way I have never had the slightest problem with house training or with dogs not wanting to be seperated from me using this method . I note that a number of well regarded dog people including Gwen Bailey are now saying having a puppy with you at night is the thing to do ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Bailey
Suddenly leaving the security of the mother and littermates, coming to a new household and then being left totally alone at night in the dark can be very frightening for a new puppy, especially if the breeder has not taken the time to get each puppy used to being alone before they go to their new homes.
Since this can cause some sensitive puppies to be prone to separation problems later in life, my advice is to take the puppy up to the bedroom for the first few weeks, confined to a high-sided box or crate so that it can be with you, but not get too close.
Then, when the puppy is used to the house, used to being parted from its mother and littermates, and has got used to being left alone for short periods of time, it can go down to the kitchen at night times.
This method is less traumatic for the puppy and has the added advantage that you are able to get up and take the puppy out when it wakes up in the middle of the night, thereby avoiding the puppy learning to use the kitchen floor as a toilet.

(Taken from the Gwen Bailey author and dog Behaviour website )
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
ah good luck tonight then hope he stays settled! and one more thing (sorry i seem to have something to say for everyting your doing)!!

But i personally wouldnt put paper in the bed, as you dont want to encourage him to mess in his bed and in my opinion putting paper down in there is doing so

Thats really good advice Minihaha, mum has always had pups in with her to..
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ah good luck tonight then hope he stays settled! and one more thing (sorry i seem to have something to say for everyting your doing)!!

But i personally wouldnt put paper in the bed, as you dont want to encourage him to mess in his bed and in my opinion putting paper down in there is doing so

Thats really good advice Minihaha, mum has always had pups in with her to..
That's okay - I am here to learn!
I don't play to put paper down every night - I just knew that this is what he was going on when at his, so put it in incase he needed to as he wasn't here for too long and he didn't go when he was up before.

Minihaha - I have been reading that the best thing to do is have them in your room yes! But I have other animals in my room and my room is really small so would be nearly impossible!
He is still quiet just now so hopefully will be okay for a couple of hours.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't have any advice but congrats on getting your puppy! Also.. pics please
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Like you, I didn't have room in my bedroom for a crate. So, I compromised by sleeping down on the sofa with the pup on a bed next to me for the first week. Then I made the slow transition to the crate in the kitchen. I would sit with her until she fell asleep. If she woke up crying after a couple of hours, I'd put her outside, then straight back in the crate and do as before; sit with her until she fell asleep. I would say it took a couple of weeks to get her sleeping through the night and into a routine, so hang in there!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >