Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tanya_306
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Please help - puppy keeps crying¬

We got out 10 week old puppy on Wednesday. He is a jack russell cross fox terrier. He yelps, cries and barks all the time. He is only quiet or quieter when sat on our laps.

He has got a bed, training crate, puppy pads, food, water, treats, hot water bottle, ticking clock, soft toy, blankets ... what else can we do?

I think he is driving the neighbours mad!

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Tanya
josshun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
hi there
i do feel sorry for you there is nothing worse than a crying pup he most likely misses his playmates if youve only had him a few day's it will take him a while to settle down to his new enviroment aslk your neighbour's if they can here him and explain they will most likely understand does he cry when you leave him when i got my first poodle i never left her alone for the first week then started leaving her for short period's of time till she agusted i alway's left her cage open so she could go in and out as she liked just imagine he must be feeling lost without his family it will take a lot of getting used to being without them give him lotts of cuddles and 1 from me hope this has helped a little bit and he settles soon
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by tanya_306 View Post
We got out 10 week old puppy on Wednesday. He is a jack russell cross fox terrier. He yelps, cries and barks all the time. He is only quiet or quieter when sat on our laps.

He has got a bed, training crate, puppy pads, food, water, treats, hot water bottle, ticking clock, soft toy, blankets ... what else can we do?

I think he is driving the neighbours mad!

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Tanya
Hi Tanya as Joss says it is normal for a puppy to cry and bark a lot when it first leaves its dam and siblings, puppies must feel very vulnerable and crying is a way of calling for help and protection. It should settle down in a few days when it feels a little more secure.

Rather than having the puppy on your lap try getting down on the floor and playing with it , a small squeaky toy or ball is usually a welcome toy for a terrier puppy.

I always take a new puppy upstairs with me at night and have it next to my bed in a box. I find it usually goes to sleep quite quickly in the dark with the comforting sound of human breathing and scent nearby and the touch of a reassuring hand if necessary. .
The puppy will then wake and cry if it needs to go out and can be quickly taken outside to the garden and returned to the box to sleep so no messy kitchens or prolonged crying.

Having the puppy with the new owner helps with the bonding process and gives the puppy chance to gain a little confidence before being left alone for a long period like all night. I find puppies which are not forced to be alone straight after leaving the dam don't have problems with separation, this is probably because they haven't had the chance to become fearful of being left alone.

I then gradually get the puppy used to being left alone for short periods during the day usually after a meal and a play when it is ready to sleep.
tanya_306
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank you for your replies.

He has been a good boy today (toileting anyway!). When he woke up this morning I took him outside and he had a wee. After breakfast I took him outside and he had a poo!

He has had a couple of wees inside and NOT on his pad! I told him off and then popped him outside for a few mins after.

Is it best to have his puppy crate next to my bed tonight, with him locked inside? Last night I slept on the hard kitchen floor while he slept in his crate!

Sorry to keep questioning!
Meg
Supervisor

02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Thank you for your replies.

He has been a good boy today (toileting anyway!). When he woke up this morning I took him outside and he had a wee. After breakfast I took him outside and he had a poo!

He has had a couple of wees inside and NOT on his pad! I told him off and then popped him outside for a few mins after.
Hi Tanya I am never quite sure why anyone uses puppy pads. The whole point in house training a puppy is to teach it to relieve itself outside so unless a person is disabled or can't get outside why use puppy pads which is teaching it to go inside some of the time, very confusing for a puppy.

I find the least times a puppy soils in the house the better. This means watching it like a hawk and taking it out at times it is most likely to want to relieve itself and praising it when it does. That is first thing in the morning and last thing at night, after sleep/play/food/excitement/when it sniffs the ground and circles and about once every hour to begin with.

If your puppy does have an accident in the house clean the area throughly with a none ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder and please don't tell him off, no word no eye contact or he may become afraid to go when you are around and may even eat the thing he associates with your displeasure and that is the last thing you want.

Is it best to have his puppy crate next to my bed tonight, with him locked inside? Last night I slept on the hard kitchen floor while he slept in his crate!
I prefer a cardboard box upstairs because it is easier than carrying a crate around and can be made nice and cosy with blanket and 'safe' cuddly toy (no removable eyes and not filled with beans). Puppies don't like to soil in areas where they eat and sleep so will usuallly cry if they wake up and can quickly be taken out then back to bed. Puppies which are cosy and not so stressed tend to sleep better anyway.

You can use a crate
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Great advice from Mini there, as usual

Jack Russell x Fox terrier? He's going to be a fun little dog! I'm a big fan of carrot rather than stick for all dogs, but especially for terriers. They can be independent characters, so when training anything, you have to make it worth their while! Be patient with your pup with house-training: it'll take a while for his bladder to be strong enough to hold it, so regular trips outside are essential. And you need to reinforce the desired behaviour by food treats every time he goes in the right place (outside - not on the puppy pad).

It's a big adjustment, taking on a tiny puppy. You're bound to have moments when you wonder if you've taken leave of their senses, but be patient and kind, and you'll soon make progress together. Enjoy!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
above all don't tell the pup off for getting wrong - how would you feel if someone told you off at work every single time you got something wrong

instead, praise lots and lots and lots of games and fun when the pup gets it right - this will be fun a less stressful for you and the dog

i also agree, take the crate upstairs at night and sleep with the dog in the room. i did this lady and although it was heavy work moving the crate about it worked a treat

good luck!
tanya_306
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Benedict slept in his crate last night - he wimpered a few times, but after I gave him my hand he seemed ok!

He has only had one accident inside today!! yippeee

Thanks everyone!
Will keep you updated.
Meg
Supervisor

03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by tanya_306 View Post
Benedict slept in his crate last night - he wimpered a few times, but after I gave him my hand he seemed ok!

He has only had one accident inside today!! yippeee

Thanks everyone!
Will keep you updated.
Hi Tanya that is excellent news , well done .
As Benedict grows in confidence and bonds with you he should settle very easily .
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi

It does get better and there is nothing worse than hearing them cry at night when you leave them. The best thing that worked for me and only took me one night was sleeping on the settee with henrys bed by he settee, when he fell asleep i carried him in his bed to the kitchen where he would then sleep as he is not allowed upstairs. He slept all night and woke me up on the settee at about half 5. I think this helped him to know i was still there and the next night he cried for a few minutes and then went asleep and I never had any problems after that.