Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:12 PM

What do you feed your dogs???

and why???

ive had massive dilemmas over the milsters food and i may have even got it wrong now! but were giving it ago.... anyhow!

if you all would be so kind as too fill in::

dogs breed:

food type/make:

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..:

how long you have been using that brand:

and why you chose the brand:

anything else:

if you can think of anything else please add..... i think ive made the right decision for my dog but nice to be able to ask others too and any brands ive not seen/heard of
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
dogs breed: SBT

food type/make: naturediet

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: 2-3 hours off lead

how long you have been using that brand: 6 years

and why you chose the brand: Closest thing to BARF available at the time

anything else:

She's started not eating it, or picking rather than scoffing i like usual! I don't know what to do, have tried her on some Forthglade yesterday but the smell from her bum is naaaasty so might go to Naturesmenu and see what happens. I don't have the space to keep the the BARF frozen meals and I'm not prepping every day, I hate cooking at the best of times.

Suggestions welcome!
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
dogs breed: Flat Coated Retriever x Golden Retriever

Age; 18 months

food type/make: Fish 4 Dogs Cod or Salmon Finest Complete

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: varies, usually a minimum 1 hour free run, plus some lead work later on, games at home seeking or learning new tricks. Agilty and obedience class once a week.

how long you have been using that brand: 4 months

and why you chose the brand: I wanted an uncomplicated food, with no ingredients that i couldn't pronounce or had to google to find out what they were!!

anything else:My dog was previously owned by a charity, but he didnt make the grade, so i took him back. He was on Royal Canin Adult, which i wanted to stop because of its Maize content, and also he pooped for Britain! I tried Orijen at first, as I'd read wonderful things about it, but it proved too rich for him, he developed recurring diarrhoea and a bald patch. My vet wanted to Allergy test him, but it was nearly £400, so i declined and decided to do an elimination diet, and after lots of internet research, and speaking to some manufacturers, I settled on Fish 4 Dogs, and have not looked back!!! He also only gets treats with fish/vegetable ingredients, or raw carrot/appropriate veg etc. I will begin to reintroduce other proteins soon and watch for any signs of intolerance.

He now poops far less, and is not loose, and his bald patch is finally regrowing! Yay!
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Petrina View Post

She's started not eating it, or picking rather than scoffing i like usual!

Suggestions welcome!
I've read a number of times within these forums of owners having problems with packets Nature Diet, smelling 'off' or dogs not eating, i seem to recall some owners have even contacted Nature Diet to complain. Perhaps you have an 'off' batch? Might be worth ringing them direct to see if they will replace them for you?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
dogs breed: Labrador

food type/make: Skinners Duck and Rice

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: Between 30 minutes to 2 hours or more...no routine at all.

how long you have been using that brand: A couple of years.

and why you chose the brand: I like the company (British company, British made, very helpful customer services), excellent value for money (15kg for £1 , easy for me to purchase, dog does very well on it and enjoys it.

anything else: Comparable to James Welbeloved, only far cheaper and not owned by a huge American corporation!

dogs breed: Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer and Yorkshire Terrier (on same food)

food type/make: James Welbeloved Lamb and Rice

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: 20-30 minute free run, play in the garden, training, short lead walks (they are young)

how long you have been using that brand: Since I have had them...switched from the puppy food they were on after a week or so.

and why you chose the brand: Good quality, easily available.

anything else: EXPENSIVE!! I would not feed a food like JW long term as it is just too much. If Skinners did a puppy/junior food that was as good quality as their Duck/Salmon formulas, I would feed that but they don't. My plan is to switch to Skinners when they are done growing.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
BREED Shar pei's

FOOD Raw

EXERCISE 2- 3 hours per day (spread out, not all at once)

HOW LONG FEEDING about 2 years

WHY YOU CHOSE easier, cheaper and the dogs dont turn their noses up at it, as they do with dry food.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
dogs breed: English Setters

Age; Almost 11yrs, 3yrs, 2yrs

food type/make: Combination of raw meat and bones, with Naturediet/Forthglade

daily exercise: Nothing set in stone could be short could be very very long!!

how long you have been using that brand: Over a year...

and why you chose the brand: Wanted something that would not irritate Jamie's sensitive belly and he is allergic to BHT and Deacon has skin atopica. Did try raw full stop but they got fussy and Remy would not eat it all the variety...

anything else: They have natural based treats, tripe sticks, jerky, pigs ears, dried fish, raw carrots etc.. They aren't hyper active and have normal energy levels, with shiny coats and bright eyes!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 01:42 PM
GSD/ shorthaired pointers / hound.

They all get chicken wings (raw) in the morning
then Arden Grange (premium for Daisy and Shamus, Lite for the oldies) with a spoonful of something tasty - butchers tinned usually.

Gravy bones or sausages for training / treats

Exercise - 2-4 hours for the youngsters. What they want for the oldies.

They are all doing very well on it.

Chose it because I only feed stuff without colourings / additives because I`ve had a dog with allergies. They were on Burns but didn`t like it, and Daisy lost weight on it.
They all love the Arden Grange.
I have it delivered as well.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
dogs breed: collie x

food type/make: Burns Canine Alert

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: Various depending on who we meet, anything from 1 - 2 hours sometimes more, spread between 2 walks (mix of on and off lead), agility once a week.

how long you have been using that brand: with Maggie about a month

and why you chose the brand: I trust them.

anything else: Maggie was on JWB before but she would produce large amounts of quite soft poo on it and she has anal gland issues (have to be emptied regularly), changed to Burns and her poops are much smaller and firmer. She's also been keeping a steady weight with Burns as she was overweight before.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 02:21 PM
dogs breed: Sm. Munsterlander

food type/make: JW Lamb/Rice Adult

daily exercise (any any agility etc..)..: 1-3hrs variable on/offlead walks in the week, agility training 1-2 x weekly, competing in agility most weekends thoughout summer months.

how long you have been using that brand: 2 years

and why you chose the brand: she has a dietary intolerance to egg and egg products.

anything else: Have heard good things about CSJ while doing the agility thing, so may try the 'Fit N Fast' variety from beginnng of next agility season...undecided on that one as yet though.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >