Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 07:14 PM

What Fireworks?

I feel really sorry for those with woofers who are afraid of fireworks. I know I have been there in the past.

However, Mo has just been out for a wee and she was squat there with all the skies around her ablaze with popping, banging fireworks and she carried on as if it was just any other night
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I know- i was worried but Werm is cool as a cucumber. It would be dreadful if your dog is scared through!!
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

Aww Bless ~ if only my two were not so bothered we've had to batton down the hatches for the night they won't even go in the garden for a wee! It sounds like there's a war going on around us at the minute and I'm seriously wondering if it is actually fireworks being let off or Bombs!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I also am blessed with dogs that dont bother with fire works,

I do feel so heart sorry for those who have dogs that get so upset, it must be hell, it goes on for days on end, those poor dogs must be so exausted by the end of it.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 07:18 PM
We have got more going off tonight than there was on Thursday & luckily Tilly's not batting an eyelid either I'm now convinced the DAP diffuser is working a treat as when there some in July, she barked all evening!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 07:25 PM
For once in my life, I have two dogs, totally oblivious of all the bangs and whizzes, Georgie is flaked out on the floor and Zena is playing with her big ball in the lounge, AH total bliss!! I never thought I'd have this on firework night, and I'm going to make darn sure I keep it this way, I won't make any silly mistakes, like letting them out for a wee just before a really big explosion, and boy are they loud tonight, they're more like bombs going off than fireworks

YOu have my deepest sympathy those of you with terrified dogs, it's downright cruel to put them through this, I wish we could stop it somehow Hopefully, it'll all be over tomorrow and your dogs will have forgotten all about it by the morning.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
my girl, Lexus, has never been bothered.

When i worked and lived at the rescue, all the live staff dogs were never bothered.

All of us, dogs and poeple, used to sit around the fireworks bonfire party.

Then Lex and I moved in with my fiance in Denmark.

The entire country is covered in fireworks new years eve.
We climbed to the top of a very big hill that overlooks the city and witness a huge 360 % fireworks display for 1 hour, which was awesome.
All 3 of our Shepherd girls were pretty chilled.

Now we are back in England, one of our girls has passed away.

We got a new dog 4 weeks ago, 13 month old Rottie X.

He heard some fireworks first time one evening last week, he barked and ran to the window a couple of times, pretty alarmed.
So we just played with him.
Then went for walk with the bangs going on around us, giving him treats.
Every night since, he couldnt care less.
He sleeps thru them now.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
I know- i was worried but Werm is cool as a cucumber. It would be dreadful if your dog is scared through!!
Awww I'm glad Werm is ok, I agree it is dreadful to have a noise nervous dog.

Originally Posted by DippyLeo View Post
Aww Bless ~ if only my two were not so bothered we've had to batton down the hatches for the night they won't even go in the garden for a wee! It sounds like there's a war going on around us at the minute and I'm seriously wondering if it is actually fireworks being let off or Bombs!
Oh poor you, I hope they're soon over for you.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I also am blessed with dogs that dont bother with fire works,

I do feel so heart sorry for those who have dogs that get so upset, it must be hell, it goes on for days on end, those poor dogs must be so exausted by the end of it.
I agree, especially as they go on for so many days now.

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
We have got more going off tonight than there was on Thursday & luckily Tilly's not batting an eyelid either I'm now convinced the DAP diffuser is working a treat as when there some in July, she barked all evening!
Glad the DAP is working for Tilly, it had no effect on a dog I had before Mo.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
For once in my life, I have two dogs, totally oblivious of all the bangs and whizzes, Georgie is flaked out on the floor and Zena is playing with her big ball in the lounge, AH total bliss!! I never thought I'd have this on firework night, and I'm going to make darn sure I keep it this way, I won't make any silly mistakes, like letting them out for a wee just before a really big explosion, and boy are they loud tonight, they're more like bombs going off than fireworks

YOu have my deepest sympathy those of you with terrified dogs, it's downright cruel to put them through this, I wish we could stop it somehow Hopefully, it'll all be over tomorrow and your dogs will have forgotten all about it by the morning.
I quite agree H

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
my girl, Lexus, has never been bothered.

When i worked and lived at the rescue, all the live staff dogs were never bothered.

All of us, dogs and poeple, used to sit around the fireworks bonfire party.

Then Lex and I moved in with my fiance in Denmark.

The entire country is covered in fireworks new years eve.
We climbed to the top of a very big hill that overlooks the city and witness a huge 360 % fireworks display for 1 hour, which was awesome.
All 3 of our Shepherd girls were pretty chilled.

Now we are back in England, one of our girls has passed away.

We got a new dog 4 weeks ago, 13 month old Rottie X.

He heard some fireworks first time one evening last week, he barked and ran to the window a couple of times, pretty alarmed.
So we just played with him.
Then went for walk with the bangs going on around us, giving him treats.
Every night since, he couldnt care less.
He sleeps thru them now.
Aww bless him, so pleased he is ok with them now.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2009, 07:50 PM
thank you

although, he wasnt really scared of the fireworks, per se.

he just heard someone banging outside and did what any good rottie would do in that situation, ran to the window gobbing at the 'intruder'.

so we just made a game out of it.
thus, the fireworks arent relevant to the training really, as we would use the same procedure for any new or novel alarming noises.
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2009, 08:08 PM
From what hubby has told me when he takes Harley to the toliet they do put him off so he comes back without going.

However in the house he seems to be fine most of the time, like now he is just laying there. Weird really as he hears everything and normally feels he has to alert you to every tiny pathetic noise.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >