Our sister sites
Our sister sites
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2007, 01:10 PM

Controlling a Hyper dog?

Hi Guys

I have an 8 month old Beagle called Maggie. She is absolutley gorgeous and one of the most loving dogs I have ever seen, but she is hyper. When she is out in the backyard, she is fine, and does her own wee thing.

When we bring her into the house at night she just refuses to settle down. She is constantly jumping into our faces and always wanting to be up on top of us.

Is there any tips / tricks to settle her down in the house?
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a Rott who behaves like that,we tend to ignore her.If that doesn't stop her we put her out of the room for a cuople of minutes and believe me that sure works,xxxxxxx.Hope thats of use to you,good luck,xxxxxxxx
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I assume that you make sure she has plenty of exercise? Certain food can make dogs a bit hyper(too much colour/preservatives/protein)
Another idea could be playing a game with her in the house(hide the ball and she has to find it) or doing some training and she may settle down after she has had that attention. Or maybe if you gave her a kong toy with food in it she might settle down to chew on that for a while. Hope these ideas help...they will keep you busy if nothing else!! Keep us posted. Also would like to see a picture..I love Beagles!
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks very much!

Yea, she is walked every night and gets plenty of exercise. I worked in a pet shop for 4 years, and had mixed reactions about the kong toy! But maybe I will give it a go! Thanks again!!

ps, will get some photos asap!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Try teaching her to settle and relax, many dogs need to learn this and it really helps to form habits such as lying quietly chewing on their stuffed kong (or whatever ).

I think kongs are the best invention ever, on a rope for a chase game or on the living room floor, stuffed ingeniously with food

If she has a mad 5 minutes, don't laugh to encourage her as such but relax about it and in a way try to enjoy it, as long as she's not doing damage!!!

Wys
x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 03:17 PM
She is probably just delighted to be spending time with you, I expect if you had her in the house with you all day, she would be settled in no time, Beagles like people, they are pack animals and dont do very well on their own.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 03:43 PM
My sister had two of these many years ago, and as pups they were an absolute nightmare, but that was only because she wasn't a dog minded person and didn't know what she was doing. I may be wrong, but I think these dogs need a tremendous amount of exercise to tire them out don't they? Maybe you're not giving her enough each day perhaps? There's a man up the road from my house who has an old girl beagle and he takes her on a long walk twice day and he told me even at her age she walks him off his feet! Half of it is she wants to play with you I expect, but if you give her enough exercise I'm sure she'll learn that she needs to quieten down a bit indoors! Good luck, she sounds fun
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2007, 03:48 PM
She is a great laugh, there is no doubt about that!!

Yea, i will try a longer walk and longer time indoors also! Coming into the Winter she will be inside more anyway, obviously the reason I posted this thread, as I would like er settled so she come in more often during the Winter!

She is getting spayed tomorrow actually!! Wish us luck!!

Thanks for your comments!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by garethb83 View Post
Hi Guys

I have an 8 month old Beagle called Maggie. She is absolutley gorgeous and one of the most loving dogs I have ever seen, but she is hyper. When she is out in the backyard, she is fine, and does her own wee thing.

When we bring her into the house at night she just refuses to settle down. She is constantly jumping into our faces and always wanting to be up on top of us.

Is there any tips / tricks to settle her down in the house?
You say, she is outside in the day, does she only come into the house at night??

This may be a factor in why she gets so hyper , if she is only having a short time with you , i.e in the evenings, this may contribute to her exuberance.

How much exersice does she get a day, Beagles are extremely intelligent dogs, they will need lots of mental as well as physical exersice to keep a healthy stable mind.

Also you look at the food you are feeding, how high is the protein level .
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Good luck for tomorrow with her, I'm sure she'll be fine. She'll obviously be nice and quiet when you get her home, so maybe that will be a good time to reward her with plenty of gentle stroking and a nice quiet voice, she'll love all that attention! I hope she'll be like that coz if she's too hyper you don't want her bursting out of those stitches!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >