Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Grizzly Man

I just heard about and finished watching 'Grizzly Man' , a documentary about Tim Treadwell and his life with the bears of Alaska
He was killed by one of the bears he loved so much , along with his partner Amie Huguenard in October 2003

While he undoubtably shot some amazing footage of the bears and foxes , I believe he was mentally unstable and did more harm than good to the bears he professed to love

I found this comment from someone who said they were a biologist studying the damage he did to the bears

Since his 2003 death, 7 of the 12 bears that he interacted with, who were being monitored by a legitimate scientific study, have died. 2 starved during the winter of 2004, having become so dependant on Treadwell for help gathering the required sustenance they needed they went into hibernation ill prepared and died in their dens.
3, including the bear the Treadwell referred to as "Mr. Chocolate" had to be put down by park rangers, a danger to themselves and visitors thanks to Treadwell removing their natural fear of man. 2 were killed by hunters having wandered outside of the sanctuary, in both cases the hunters reported that the bear walked right up to them.

How true that is I dont know , but I do think anyone who claims to love the wild shouldnt push themselves into it and interfere with the natural order of things the way he did
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I agree with you. Observing from a distance is one thing but to do somethign that ultiamtely means the untimely deaths of animals who may otherwise have survived a lot longer, maybe had offspring and raised them and may even have been alive today isn't acceptable in my view.

If he's loved the bears so much, why not build a tree house and just watch them without making contatc. Then the bears could've remained wild, as they should do.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I have always refused to watch that doc ..
He was not a well man..
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with you also...... nature should be left to be natural.....