Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 09:18 PM

Dog Snobbery

Do you think there is an element of snobbery in the dog world?

I dont venture in here much, but just getting an impression that the dog world has grown more snobby?
I often wonder if dogs had a prejudice to colour, creed or background we would all feel a little embarrassed?

Why dont people just love dogs for being what they are? Why does it have to be an issue?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I hear the show world has been snobby over many decades.
Thats the popular image anyway (Im sure its not so bad in reality)

Aside from that 'possibility', cant say i notice snobbery in the dog world.

Other things, but not that
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't know about the show world. But I think most 'dog people' do love dogs for what they are, no matter what the breed- there may be some breeds they're not so keen on, but I' can't say I've noticed any evidence of 'my breed is better than your breed' or suchlike.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I`m sure there`s snobbery everywhere - in breed clubs, in rescues, in showing, in competition. Am I bovvered?
Having said that, I walked past the pub today with my two big, handsome designer (rescue) dogs strutting their stuff and a lady perched on a stool outside clutched her screeching bogbrush of a dog who was seated on her lap shouting at my 2 who were carefully ignoring it - and I just looked at the guy with her. He winced in sympathy. Yes, I`m a snob about manners - human or animal
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I show rotties, not sure im a snob though, poss if I wanted to be a snob I would have went for a more plush breed lol
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2009, 10:05 PM
The Twilight Zone being an agricultural community, it is possible to hear the Border Collie referred to as a "real" dog - probably because it is THE working dog hereabouts (although I did meet a guy in Tesco the other day, who told me he had 11 BCs, ALL PETS! And I thought I was bad, having two (almost unheard-of, up here!).

Snorri
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-03-2009, 10:41 PM
You've met me, my family and my dogs Luz

PS

I do think there is an element of snobbery within dog ownership and perhaps more so in show circles but on the whole I'd say Dogsey is a good cross section.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Not something I have noticed.

Although I guess you can see it with people who get a breed becasue it will look good in thier situation.

To be honest the worst I have met recently are people who have purchased Labradoodles.....they alwas seem so proud of the fact thier dog is and F(insert number) hybrid. I find it quite sad really.

I get loads of people asking me what breed Trip is - she has such a character and looks quite different so people always seem interested till I tell them she is a rescued Mutt , who can be a cow with other dogs and had a major chewing and stealing problem!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 08:01 AM
oh Luz, I had to laugh, because my dog goes mad at a certain type of person who likes to play loud boom box music. And yes, it is a bit embarrassing

Most people I know who like dogs, like dogs - full stop. No matter what breed or history they have.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Don't think so, not in the show world, pride yes but most just love dogs, any dog and are in the forefront of dog welfare & recuse. Had noted a certain amount of one up manship in the owners of some of the crossbreeds and designer breeds some even being aggressive about their dogs.

Have wondered why and think perhaps it is the money they have paid to find that in the end they have what the rest of us have a lovely cuddly companion and not as it happens anything different, just a special friend like every other dog owner.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »