Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 02:31 PM

Rock Sulphur - why use it?

I have bought some rock sulphur and have read the directions about placing a small lump of it in the water bowl, but the label doesn't say what the benefits are, it also says it is "seasonal" but doesn't say... which seasons
I had a vague feeling that it might help Deccy's coat - he has some red patches on his skin following a bout of dally rash - and I went into the petstore this morning with another vague thought about epsom salts for "cooling the blood" (an old horse remedy for fit horses suddenly laid up). But they didn't have any - just this rock sulphur. I know from my Chemistry A level (ok it was H level as I lived in Scotland) that sulphur has disinfecting properties
Can anyone cast any light on this please, before I use it?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I use this in the summer as it hydrates the dogs quicker when its in the water..

Like you "cools the blood" theory

re read this and it sounds silly..

YES>. it does cool the blood.. rehydrates the dogs quicker than ordinary water..
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Yes I think it is meant to cool the blood or something because I got some when Benji had trouble with his skin. Benji had other ideas though - he fished it out and chewed it all into little pieces
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2006, 07:08 PM
My Mother in law always swore by it for her dogs. She told me about it some years ago now and said it has great cooling properties in the summer months. It is also very good for any dog that may have any minor skin conditions.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-09-2006, 06:47 PM
We have used it for a long time now and it is good for cooling the dogs system and re- hydrates them especially in this warm weather. It also helps one of ours wash her feet as you will see from the photograph below lol...Cheers..Ian..
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
As the others have said it is used for cooling the blood and hydrating in summer. I have used it in the past on my dogs. I have also used raw spinnach sprinkled over the top of their dinner and this has helped with skin problems in one of my dachies. Think I read about it in Dog World in the Jane Lilley items a long time ago.