Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Yellowdog

I saw a poster in my vets a while back and wondered how aware people were of the following campaign.

You may or may not have heard of 'Yellow Dog' .

Yellow Dog is an international campaign to create awareness around the World that Some Dogs Need Space.

The Yellow Dog Project was created to bring awareness to dogs who need space while training, recovering from surgery, or being rehabilitated.

Yellow Dog = Some dogs need space

If you see a dog with a YELLOW ribbon, bandanna or similar on the leash or on the dog, this is a dog which needs some space. Please, do not approach this dog or its people with your dog. They are indicating that their dog cannot be close to other dogs. How close is too close? Only the dog or his people know, so maintain distance and give them time to move out of your way.
There are many reasons why a dog may need space:
Maybe it has health issues
It may be a rescue dog being rehabilitated. The world can be a very scary place for these dogs.
It may have had a bad experience with another dog or is just not like the kind of friendly dogs which always want to say “Hi!”
A bitch may be in heat
The dog may be in training
It may be very old and arthritic
It may be very nervous or shy and other dogs cause it stress

In short, a yellow marker on a dog means it needs some space.

Those of us who own these dogs appreciate your help and respect.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I wasn't aware of this, thanks for the post.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm aware of it but can't say I'd ever use it tbh although currently apart from the bitches in season bit none of it applies to us. We don't approach other dogs anyway cos this lot in full flight can be intimidating even though they're all as soft as butter, but the drawback as I see it would be that you'd have to be pretty close up to see the lead/collar/bandanna anyway and then it's all a bit late surely, isn't it better to just respect each others space and not just assume every dog is ok unless you know the dog or are told it's friendly. Although in my experience there's friendly and plain over the top and out of control.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I have a yellow collar for Ella and a yellow ribbon (haven't had it on her lead for a while though) because she's dog reactive. It's true, it doesn't help if people are far away and their dogs run up to mine but I'm hoping that at least some people might not let their dogs run up to mine.
I'm considering getting a yellow bandana to be more visible. It says 'I need space' on it so is more expressive than just a yellow ribbon.

I think it's a brilliant campaign, but it only works if everybody knows about it.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2013, 02:52 PM
theres a lot of people using it at flyball
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I agree that the campaign needs to be far reaching to have the desired effect and most vets now have posters in their surgeries. I agree that the yellow ribbon on a lead is hard to see but a yellow bandanna or the yellow vest are much more visible. Apparently is has really taken off in Sweden and hopefully will here too.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2013, 03:30 PM
I think it's a brilliant campaign and it is becoming more well known (especially if you visit "somewhere else!!!)

http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
theres a lot of people using it at flyball
That's good to know.