Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 11:58 AM

Regular stages of not eating!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue] I am just wondering?! My Molly (4 yr old Irish setter) tends to go through stages of not eating. She has not been interested in the last 4 meals, no matter what I tempt her with! Her pooh is fine (formed etc), but she seems quiet apart from walks, where she is her normal mad self? I know dogs (like us) have off days, but she does not seem interested in food especially in the morning. I was wondering what people thought about 1 meal/day? I know 2 meals are better, but she is bascally not a morning dog! She is quite happy to lie on bed until late. She does not aprove of early morning starts!!!!! Just stays on my bed!

PS. She is a rescue that I got at 3 yrs old and was left for long periods alone. She is not losing THAT much weight, she has been wormed and de-flea etc... Is it just her or shoul I be neurotic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
some dogs naturally have days when they basically not eat to clean their systems out. some dogs just dont like eating more than 1 meal a day, I have a male that wont eat anything til after 5pm, yet my others would eat all day if I let them, I wouldnt worry too much so long as the dog is in resonable condition, not showing signs of ilness etc, if it continues for too long then have a word with your vet, just keep an eye on her.

Mo
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Should I try and put them to 1 meal per day? Potter does not care as long as she eats! LOL! Shoul I put Molly on 1 meal per day and Potter on 2? I know 1 small and 1 larger meal is better?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi

My Luna has a tendency to not eat much before, during and after season. She's very moody in about 4 months total. Suffers from false pregnancies

I dont know about 1 meal a day. I wouldnt do it, but then I have a breed, that can suffer from bloat

I've even been suggested by a kibble seller, that I should feed her 3 or 4 times a day (but that's cos she seems a bit sensitive in her tummy)

Sorry cant help, but was wondering if it could be her season coming up, or maybe its just too hot for her to eat?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 12:13 PM
problem is if you have a dog that just wont eat more than once a day, there is not much you can do about it, as I say I tried all sorts to get my male to eat two meals and no way would he eat it, mine are also a breed that can suffer bloat so it was a worry to me, but I give him his meal then watch like a hawk for any signs of bloat.
mine are fed on the barf diet, which I feel helps reduce the chance of bloat anyway.
Mo
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Hi

My Luna has a tendency to not eat much before, during and after season. She's very moody in about 4 months total. Suffers from false pregnancies

I dont know about 1 meal a day. I wouldnt do it, but then I have a breed, that can suffer from bloat

I've even been suggested by a kibble seller, that I should feed her 3 or 4 times a day (but that's cos she seems a bit sensitive in her tummy)

Sorry cant help, but was wondering if it could be her season coming up, or maybe its just too hot for her to eat?
Could it be a hormonal problem? She was the one with the teat lumps in her season in April? No lumps now, have totally gone down now. I am having her spayed early August (mid time between season). Thinking about it, Potter (who was spayed ages ago) does not have same problem! FOOOD YUUUM!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Hello Miss Potter Molly should be fine with one meal and I would be inclined to give it afternoon rather than mornings and maybe just a biscuit or whole carrot in the morning. Many adult dogs only have one meal a day
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2005, 03:29 PM
as mini says i would feed her just the one meal a day.
my staffie sometimes doesnt eat at all, and other days she will clean her plate, so i let her have as much as she likes some days to make up for the days she doesnt eat
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Setters are another breed prone to bloat. Dogweb member Nursey is an experienced setter owner. I am sure she would not object to you contacting her about feeding.