View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2016, 03:35 PM
awwww Harvey, you are too nice to ignore people!
just had a sandwich for dinner, will eat everything in sight later on Lol, you can tell this diet is going well!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2016, 04:09 PM
LG - Just wanted to say 'Thanks' for that long description of Fagin. Absolutely fascinating.

Both myself and my wife are opposed to muzzles but I do agree that you must use one when he is likely to meet the general public,

I said he sounded like our Baruska but there is one important difference.

Firstly, although Baruska could be brutal to any dog that didn't submit to her, she never once looked like attacking a human.

My wife and I used to laugh because at weekends (When the 'weekenders' arrived) she would happily go into their gardens (If the gate was open) and through the front door (They always left it open in Summer) if there was group chatting in the garden she would go up to them and be like 'Miss goody two shoes' I did often wonder if she was trying to build her 'human' pack as well as her 'cannine' pack.

Once one of the weekenders kids was playing with her and wanted her to move, the kid grabbed her collar and pulled. Baruska gave a low but deep growl, the kid let go instantly. I had of course told the kid not to do it. Baruska would walk on the lead, she would stop to sniff things but when done sniffing would walk on easily for me.

One of the weekenders had a really old dog, she didn't try anything with it, I think she knew it was no 'threat' to her leadership. But as mentioned before any dog which even looked like challenging her leadership would get the full force of her undoubtable power.

I suppose we were lucky in that mostly our walks were in the forrest and in all the years we had her I can only recall two occassions when we met another dog and i was able to put her on lead before we got close.

There was one occassion, in town, in winter, snow everywhere, I walked her at the side of a tram track (On lead of course) and I suddenly realised there were not one but two dogs on the tram stop platform on the other side. She took a leap, I 'just' managed to hold her but with all the snow I didn't know for how long so I quickly wrapped the lead around a tall metal street light pole. I'm not kidding when I say I could swear I saw the pole bend I stood there praying her harness and lead would hold, the tram came along and the other two dogs (and their owner) got on and I relaxed
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
awwww Harvey, you are too nice to ignore people!
just had a sandwich for dinner, will eat everything in sight later on Lol, you can tell this diet is going well!!
Thanks Sis My diet regime usually ended up much the same One of the advantages of being my age (Which I ain't gonna tell by the way) is that I don't need to diet, I am the size I am, it is a tad over the ideal weight, and hasn't changed in over 15 years so I intend to enjoy whatever time I have left in this world
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Lovely pictures June and agree she doesn't look like a pup just standing there

Oh Harvey don't worry I quite often feel quietly I haven't replied to everyone.

Good luck at the hospital tomorrow Moyra and hope the car behaves and you find a good parking spot.

Enjoy training tonight Griff.

Had a lovely lunch out today and also spent some money in the lovely shop called Dunelm Had phone call from conservatory people they will be here about 7.30 am tomorrow so alarm will be set so we are both up. Old blinds have been taken down and cushions removed from sofas but they will have to work round what is left unless they are strong enough to try and get them through the patio doors into the lounge.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Don't blame you Harvey, I am very much overweight although I do not have a large appetite, in fact Amber always helps me out with my dinner. I'm afraid a drop of scotch a few times a week is my downfall. But since I packed up smoking around 15 years ago when I was getting through 60 a day, I feel I do deserve something.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Sue it is Thursday I have to go to the hospital at 9.15 am. Tomorrow I shall put the car battery on charge just to be certain she will start.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Mine have got the Beaphor collars on as well, don't see the connection between them and rolling in fox poo really, which mine do more frequently than horse poo Stop worrying, Griff, there's other things that you really CAN worry about,but no idea what they are,so nothing to worry about then is there
Sue, you'll be ready for a siesta by midday tomorrow after all the early morning goings on. It'll be worth it though.
I'm not bothered about what I eat, I do what I want now, if I can't now then when will I be able to. Consequently my freezer has plenty of Magnums in it and frozen meals I like that may not be a 'healthy' option, also chocolate in the fridge and bacon sometimes and cheese as well.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Evening all - just finished a catch up, pleased to see that although some dogsey citizens are a touch fraught, generally all is well with folks.
Hope that battery charging and hospital parking are favourable Moyra and that Griff, enjoys training this evening.
Also good luck with the conservatory people tomorrow, Sue, hope they do a good job and don't make too much of a mess.
Harvey - glad the long post was useful, in a crossing the T's and dotting the I's sort of way, with regards to Fagin. Sounds as if Baruska truly had her moments as well, although thankfully not as person aggressive as my lad. As a sort of P.S. apart from the usual obedience work, Fagin has had no training as a personal or property guard, it is, as might be said "All his own work!" lol !
June - really good pics of Zen, heading toward adulthood at a rare old pace now. She looks very well, albeit a bit circular, must be because her bum looks big in fur!!! lol !
Weatherwise we've had just about everything from sun through wind and rain to hail and snow flakes! Altogether confusing and not something I would personally request for late April.
Have a good evening all, may be back later.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-04-2016, 07:12 PM
She's got a waist, LG. Still taking loads of coat off her as well, so no real clue what she looks like minus the fur, but whilst she's growing so fast I think cutting back on her food would be detrimental, and to be honest she doesn't eat that much more than the others really. There's no real fat on her when you have your hands on her, like you say mainly fur. Hoping that when the coat eventually falls out, when we get some decent weather I'll have a better idea of what I've actually got there.
Cariad is not that wonderful with other dogs, with her sister, Lona, its even worse, but I think its due to all the non stop aggression they experienced from the 2 collies and also there was a man living in a house backing onto the football field that never wasted any time in causing problems with his GSD, the minute I came on with them he was there with his dog, barking and carrying on, then when the girls retaliated it was their fault of course. I've done a lot of training with them, but its ingrained in them. Worked very hard with their offspring and kept them out of situations like that and don't have the problems, so its not a breed thing, its whats happened, and no intention of letting it happen with the youngsters. They're all fabulous with people and kids, Fagin is Fagin, you have ways round it and know what is what and keep a strict eye on him and what is going on around him, thats all you can do really. He has a good life with you and is happy within his home environment.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2016, 07:40 PM
TW, they roll in fox poo, foxes have mange, advocate treats mange but I am not sure about using advocate and the collars
LG....that weather sounds horrible
Training was o.kish apart from deags being a nob......she did manage a down stay for 4 minutes 42seconds
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >