Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by williamsmum View Post
Thank you everybody for your replies and the gentle chastisement, as well as the support of those who have been there before. The situation isn't as straightforward as it seems. I only work part time - 3 shifts a week. I have an elderly disabled husband and another dog (we have always had 2 or 3 dogs at a time). I thought that with my husband being there all day, and the other dog, that he would settle. Unfortunately my husband needs to go for a sleep for about 3 hours or more while I'm out and that is when the dog was at his noisiest. We had him for 6 weeks and he became much more confident, started to bark and was learning very very quickly. He was very destructive, though, and my husband was unable to stop him when I wasn't there and if he put him in his crate he would bark non-stop. The neighbour, who is a very difficult person at the best of times, was the last straw. Most of our dogs have been rescue and they have all been fine and have been with us for years. My main mistake was in believing that the dog would be a companion for my husband and curl up on his lap - didn't work out. I know how to deal with separation anxiety but it would have taken time and the neighbour is not a 'negotiable' type of person. Believe me, I am beating myself up about this and I shall be suffering for a long time. I shall ring the kennels regularly to check whether he has been re-homed. He is such a cute little dog that he will be snapped up very quickly I'm sure.
Thank you for explaining in more detail, I have to say I do have far more sympathy with you now. From your first post it appeared that you had gone into getting him without proper thought and had given up too easily.

I think Honeysmummy is right - it was just a mismatch. The JRT probably needs a 'busier' home with lots to keep him occupied. But there will be the right home out there for him and I'm sure there is the right dog out there to keep your hubby company. Perhaps an oldie who will happily spend his days asleep by your husband?

Hopefully once you hear that the lad has a new home it will make you feel much better.
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Now I've read your last msg I understand more Don't worry to much, it would be best for you all to give the dog back to the rescue sooner rather than later, before you all get even more attatched.

I agree with the other me the member who said about an older dog, that could be ideal. Or maybe a retired grey hound? There was one next to Joe in the kennels, (not retired but neglected - sad story) and she was gorgeous, very laid back in the house but loved a gentle walk. Seen her in the vets since and she's still as lovely
williamsmum
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Thank you Honeysmummy. I don't blame the rescue place. We have had a dog from there before and there were no problems whatsoever. My daughter who came with me to get him had her doubts about him being the right dog for me but I was taken by his cute face and didn't listen. All this mess is entirely my fault and no-one elses. Ah well, I'm only human and we all make mistakes - even experienced dog owners can get it wrong. I still have my elderly newfie (eleven and a half years now) and he will stay an 'only dog'. When I am on my own and fully retired which will be in the not too distant future (shan't go into details here) I shall start again and not let my heart rule my head.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Please don't beat yourself up too much, it is sad for both of you, but it obviously wasn't meant to be... I still miss my cat, (who I had to give up four years ago) dreadfully, but she now has a brilliant new home! His new home will come along as will your new dog!
Stick with Dogsey you never know you may find one here and I can vouch for the greyhounds, my aunt had two gorgeous, albeit lazy ones!!
Miranda Luck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Did the rescue offer any support to help you with the separation anxiety?
williamsmum
New Member!
Female 

18-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Miranda Luck - as I explained, I know how to deal with SA but because of the neighbour, time wasn't on my side. I have a daughter with a degree in dog behaviour and she offered to take him but she is out at work full time and it would not have been suitable. I cried for 3 days, then I saw him on the kennels' website and now feel so much better after reading that he is in a wonderful foster home. Anyone who is interested can see him on www.hwanimalrescue.org - look under dogs needing homes and his name is Smudge - the little white terrier on a red floor, chewing a ball.
A relative of mine suggested that I look on it positively as if I had been a foster home for him. He was a very nervous and scared little tatty scrap when I got him, with no interest in humans or playing. He developed in just 6 weeks into a confident, basically trained, happy and playful little chap. The kennels said he was like a different dog when I returned him. Nuff said!
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I can see why your heart ruled your head, he's just beautiful. Also sound like he landed a really great foster home. He'll be rehomed in no time, small dogs don't usually wait to long.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 11:22 AM
oh, that must have been so hard! he looks like a real cutie, and his foster home sounds fab and hopefully they will be able to resolve his SA. im sure he will find a new home very soon!
Miranda Luck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by williamsmum View Post
Miranda Luck - as I explained, I know how to deal with SA but because of the neighbour, time wasn't on my side. I have a daughter with a degree in dog behaviour and she offered to take him but she is out at work full time and it would not have been suitable. I cried for 3 days, then I saw him on the kennels' website and now feel so much better after reading that he is in a wonderful foster home. Anyone who is interested can see him on www.hwanimalrescue.org - look under dogs needing homes and his name is Smudge - the little white terrier on a red floor, chewing a ball.
A relative of mine suggested that I look on it positively as if I had been a foster home for him. He was a very nervous and scared little tatty scrap when I got him, with no interest in humans or playing. He developed in just 6 weeks into a confident, basically trained, happy and playful little chap. The kennels said he was like a different dog when I returned him. Nuff said!
oh sorry! Missed the SA bit in your explanation!
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Williamsmum, sometimes just giving them that extra special start is enough.

I know I work closely with a rehoming organisation in Cyprus and am constantly fostering as I have my own three babies who are all rescue babes but cope with all the newbies I bring home.

You done well in the first instance and a new home will more than likely be found shortly for him. I have a foster dog whom I was only meant to have one night - over a week later she is still here and liable to stay here until all her medical problems are sorted.

Never, ever feel guilty if you have done your best with a rescue dog and it doesn't work out. Well done you xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2