Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Bryn needs surgery

well Bryn was at the vets today for a check up and his microchip and hubby enquired about getting him 'done' trouble is he only has one testicle, his previous owner was asked by their vet to take him back at 8 months to see if the other one had appeared but our vet says its likely it is stuck inside him and he should have surgery within 6-8 weeks otherwise it could turn into a tumor. surgery is likely to cost upto £300 and we haven't got him insured yet. has anyone had this problem with their dog before? im really worried about him now
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 09:39 PM
oh no, so sorry. Sadly i have no experience of this in dogs (i do in little boys though and they do have surgery for it at around 2 years old)

Hopefully somebody more in the know will be along soon
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Undescended testicles in dogs isn't that uncommon but as your vet said the retained teste does need removing as it is common for them to become tumours.

Depending on where the teste is the vet may be able to push the it into the scrotum and remove it through the same incision as the normal one came out of. However sometimes they need to make a larger incision or in a different place to gain access.

There's more info here, although it doesn't go in to detail of the op itself.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's a fairly standard surgery and pretty much comes with the same risks as a normal neuter. Although it can take a bit longer to get over if more/larger incisions are necessary.
Beth17
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Oscar had this he simply had to have a longer incision made so that they could find it. Other than that it was a routine castration so try not to worry too much. He was a year old and I was told it was unlikely to drop by that point and he was a rescue so was going to be done anyway. Oscars surgery was around £130.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Poor Bryn and poor you I've no experience of this in dogs (although I know it isn't that unusual). However, my friend recently had her tom cat castrated and they wouldn't give an exact cost as they said it totally depended on how hard the missing testicle would be to find. She was just given a guide price.

Good luck and its certainly an op worth having to negate any side effects.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Sometimes they are just on a short string and that's why they haven't dropped, it may still drop though, so worth leaving it till he is a year old, after that it is unlikely to drop.
If it is 'missing in action' rather than on a short string the vet will have to look for it, and until they are actually in there they won't know.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by HannahnMaggie View Post
well Bryn was at the vets today for a check up and his microchip and hubby enquired about getting him 'done' trouble is he only has one testicle, his previous owner was asked by their vet to take him back at 8 months to see if the other one had appeared but our vet says its likely it is stuck inside him and he should have surgery within 6-8 weeks otherwise it could turn into a tumor. surgery is likely to cost upto £300 and we haven't got him insured yet. has anyone had this problem with their dog before? im really worried about him now
Horrendous cost..can you get a second estimate...